Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Minor UI glitch in 4.1

Post by pufferdude »

This is something I just noticed, so I have no idea if it happened in earlier versions too. When I have the veeam Backup & SCP interface open, showing the jobs list, if I do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE on the server console (to lock the server and walk away), veeam is somehow "catching" the DELETE key as if I'd pressed DELETE by itself, and either brings up a "are you sure you want to delete" dialog or "you cannot delete a running job" dialog (dependent on if the job that happens to be highlighted is running or not). Windows 2008 THEN immediately goes ahead and brings up the blue "Lock this computer..." screen as it should when one presses CTRL-ALT-DELETE, but now BEHIND it is a veeam "Are you sure you want to delete job xxx" window.

At first I thought this must be something specific to the computer, but I cannot get ANY other app or window on this same machine to behave this way. For example, if I bring up an explorer window front-and-center and highlight a drive folder, I can press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and the explorer window does not think I'm trying to delete the highlighted directory. This ONLY seems to happen when the veeam interface has focus and I have a job highlighted. I have not taken the time to install veeam on other hardware to see if I can replicated it anywhere other than this machine.

Not a show-stopper, but certainly annoying to say the least ;-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Minor UI glitch in 4.1

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your feedback, I've just tried this scenario and was able to reproduce this behaviour, also I've submitted this bug in our internal bug tracking system. As for now, be careful pressing ctrl+alt+delete while standing on the job name. :)
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

I am sad to see that a bug I reported back in January is STILL in the new Veeam 5.0. SO much for the "internal bug tracking system", eh? ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jim, just having the bug loged in bug tracking system does not guarantee anything. There are a few hundreds of other minor UI bugs and glitches, most will likely never get fixed, because if we try to fix every single one, we will never release. So we have to skip minor bugs, unless there are dozens of customers complaining. This specific bug had received a single bug report in 3 years...

I forwarded this to corresponding developer and asked if this is easy to fix.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

To be fair, even minor bugs should be triaged based on their likelyhood to cause a serious issue. This particular case is scary because I can imagine a scenario where a job is accidentally deleted which would turn it from a minor bug into a major bug quickly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, but that's the thing, you cannot delete the job accidentally in this case - you will get prompted and will have to actually confirm that you indeed want to delete the job.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

Understood, but this bug puts you just one errant click away from deleting the job, when you should have no chance of deleting the job at all since that wasn't what you were trying to do. I don't think most enterprise customers would look at this bug as minor because you're depending on the safety net (the confirmation prompt) as the first layer of defense from an accident instead of the last.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, just use Windows+L to lock Windows computers then... at least this is what I have always been using - you know, 2 buttons instead 3+1 do make difference when you do it every 15 mins or so ;)

Seriously though, we can argue all day, but in 3 years this issue was brought up as a problem only twice - once by our QC couple of years ago, and once by a single customer (although of course it may get some me-too's now while floating on top of forums, cause this is how things work). Clearly, right now this is non-issue. So as long as the fix is not a single line of code and 5 min of QC time (which I do not know yet), then I would rather spend this time on fixes and features which add a little bit more value to the product...

I am thinking disabling DEL keypress handling altogether will certainly be 1-liner - we should probably just do that and move on.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

Gostev wrote:Well, just use Windows+L to lock Windows computers then... at least this is what I have always been using - you know, 2 buttons instead 3+1 do make difference when you do it every 15 mins or so ;)
I actually can't even reproduce the issue on my systems, but I don't ever use a physical console, everything we do is remote sessions, but I would point out that it's not very enterprise worthy to tell people to change their behavior because of a bug in your products GUI, although I guess the smiley might be giving that away.
Gostev wrote:Seriously though, we can argue all day, but in 3 years this issue was brought up as a problem only twice - once by our QC couple of years ago, and once by a single customer (although of course it may get some me-too's now while floating on top of forums, cause this is how things work). Clearly, right now this is non-issue. So as long as the fix is not a single line of code and 5 min of QC time (which I do not know yet), then I would rather spend this time on fixes and features which add a little bit more value to the product...
Well, if you only use the "number of times the problem has been reported" as the metric for prioritizing GUI bugs, well, that's great, but I'm not too impressed by it. Only a very small percentage of people will actually report a bug like that, even if they hit it. Of course it's your choice how to prioritize such an issue, and I have no idea the effort to fix it (it would seem minimal but I don't know), I just feel like fixing issues like this is critical to the perception of a quality product (it's little "polish" things like this that we used to HATE about a competitor's product).
Gostev wrote:I am thinking disabling DEL keypress handling altogether will certainly be 1-liner - we should probably just do that and move on.
Yeah, probably, of course then you might get complaints from those of us who like to use keyboard shortcuts.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it only happens every now and then, you cannot reproduce it reliably. Never happens when you need it to, e.g. when QC guys is standing behind you watching :) it takes a few attempts.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Hey, it's me... I'm baaaack! Just wanted to report that this bug still exists nearly 2.5 years after I first reported it, now all the way into Veeam B&R 6.1! :-p

Pretting CTRL-ALT-DEL in a to lock the (physical, in my case) console still brings up the "are you sure you want to delete.." dialog, which I still find highly annoying after all this time. I'm never going to get out of the habit of doing CTRL-ALT-DEL for locking a console... I've been using PCs since the DOS days.

Oh well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Uh, very sorry for that. As you may guess, this happened unintentionally because of UI rewrite. Thanks for letting us know, I will ask to address this ASAP! BTW, glad to see you sticking to Veeam all these years ;)