Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
inayama
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tadashi Inayama

Rehydrating Backup Data for Backup Copy and Tape Jobs

Post by inayama »

Hello,

I have a Backup Job that is going to DAS with three replication points (Reverse Incrementals) with Active Fulls every Friday.

I have a Backup Copy Job that is running to a dedupe appliance (CIFS off of Dell DR4300). The Backup Repo is set to Decompress Backup Data Block Before Storing. The deduplication rate is as not as high as I expected (normally runs at x9, but is running at x4). Is the Backup Copy Job rehydrating the inline deduped Backup Files (from the "primary" Backup Job)?

I also have Tape Jobs that are copying to data from the Backup Job (on DAS) to Tape. How can I rehydrate Backup Job files before writing to tape.

Also is there a way for me to write the backup files to tape in vmk/vmdk format so we so can restore the vm's straight from tape without Veeam somewhere down the line?

Case # 01993689 and 01995686

Thank you,
Tadashi
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Rehydrating Backup Data for Backup Copy and Tape Jobs

Post by veremin »

Is the Backup Copy Job rehydrating the inline deduped Backup Files (from the "primary" Backup Job)?
Not sure whether I'm following you on that. Backup copy job has its own compression and deduplication mechanisms that work independently from backup job settings.

Since you're decompressing data before storing it, don't expect high data reduction ratio provided by backup server.
How can I rehydrate Backup Job files before writing to tape.
The data gets archived to tapes as is. Meaning compressed and deduplicated backups will not be rehyrdated prior to landing to tapes. Do you plan to native tape hardware compression?
Also is there a way for me to write the backup files to tape in vmk/vmdk format so we so can restore the vm's straight from tape without Veeam somewhere down the line?
Potentially you can copy VM, using VM copy job, and write flat files to tapes via file to tape job. However, it doesn't sound like the best strategy. Because without VB&R you won't be able to restore from tapes. Neither will this scenario allow you to restore VM directly into infrastructure.

What I can suggest as alternative is Direct VM restore from tapes.

Thanks.