Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stokkolm
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John Zetterman

Nimble Snapshot Integration Question

Post by Stokkolm »

I recently upgraded to Veeam Enterprise Plus because my Nimble CS500 is now covered by Veeam's Snapshot Integration technology in version 9.5. As I was thinking about how this worked, it occurred to me that multiple snapshots might be taken on the same volume over and over and that could be a problem if it was a vSphere synchronized snapshot (because VM's could be hit with multiple vSphere snapshots per night). I read in the Veeam blog article about this where it states that:

"We will instruct vSphere to take a snapshot of the required VMs. With this open snapshot, the Nimble device is then instructed to execute a storage snapshot action, following which we immediately remove the vSphere snapshot. As the result, production VMs run off VM snapshots only for a matter of seconds, eliminating performance overhead and infamous snapshot commit issues. Veeam then stores the VM data into self-contained, transportable files."
https://www.veeam.com/blog/integration- ... suite.html

This seems obvious, but I really want to be sure that I understand correctly. I take this to mean that a vSphere snapshot is created for each of the VM's configured in Veeam Backup job and then a non-synchronized Nimble snapshot is taken while that snapshot exists. Once the array snapshot completes the vSphere snapshot is removed and Veeam can then use the vSphere snapshot that exists within the Nimble's non-vSphere synchronized snapshot to perform the backup. Is my understanding of how this process works accurate? Thank you!
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: Nimble Snapshot Integration Question

Post by vClintWyckoff »

This seems obvious, but I really want to be sure that I understand correctly. I take this to mean that a vSphere snapshot is created for each of the VM's configured in Veeam Backup job and then a non-synchronized Nimble snapshot is taken while that snapshot exists. Once the array snapshot completes the vSphere snapshot is removed and Veeam can then use the vSphere snapshot that exists within the Nimble's non-vSphere synchronized snapshot to perform the backup. Is my understanding of how this process works accurate?
I have never heard of the storage snapshot being referred to as a non-synchronized vSphere snap, but overall this is correct John. Please let us know if you have any other questions.