Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Extract VM from job, and create a new job?

Post by Cragdoo »

I have a VBR job, with 17 VMs in it. All VMs are on a 'per-VM' chain. I want to extract one VM (24.7TB !!!) from the existing job, and create a new backup job with just that extracted VM, without having to take a new full backup.
Is it just a case of moving the per-vm files to a folder on the repo, then rescanning the repo ?

Or am I just as well taking a complete new full?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Extract VM from job, and create a new job?

Post by foggy »

Hi Craig, you can try the following: copy required VM backup files from the per-VM chain (including VBM file) to the new repository, rescan it, remove from backups those VMs that you did not copy and map the new job to the copied files.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo »

what if it's the same repository but different folder?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I don't think this affects the process. But be careful with removing backups, they will be named similarly.
jronnblom
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Janåke Rönnblom

[MERGED] Move VM in a per VM job to a new job or server

Post by jronnblom »

Hi,

We're testing 9.5.

Job #1 has multiple servers in it. It uses per VM files. I want to move one server from this job to a new job on another server. How can I do this?

-J
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Move VM in a per VM job to a new job or server

Post by skrause »

Are you trying to add it to an existing job or is giving it its own job on the new server fine?

If it is getting its own job you should be able to copy the VBK and VIB files to the new repository, create the new job, and then map the files to that job.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
adb98
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Aaron B

Re: Move VM in a per VM job to a new job or server

Post by adb98 »

There are several ways to this and it also depends on the storage you are using but the easiest is to simply remove it from the old job and add it to the new job. Once the old job runs again it will tell you this VM is no longer being processed and to ensure that this was intentional, which is normal. The VM that was removed will be moved down to Disk (Imported) under backups as its no longer being processed by that job. You can still restore from this as normal and when you are ready to remove it just right click and remove from disk.

If you want it to auto fall off and get removed from the disk after a certain retention after you delete it, before you delete the VM, In the settings of the job go to Storage-----Advanced--------Maintenance tab --------Full Backup file maintenance. Click the remove deleted VM data after blah and choose how many days retention. This should work but I never used it and normally just remove them on my own.

The only downside to removing from old and adding to new is that it will need to run a active full on the new job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Janåke, please review the thread above for instructions on moving a single VM into its own new job. Seeding a VM into an existing job is not possible.
jronnblom
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Janåke Rönnblom

Post by jronnblom »

Hi,

We have tried that but ignored the VBM file. I will try again with it included.

Can we recreate a VBM file in 9.5? I have the script for 8.0 but that wont work for 9.5.

-J
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you cannot map jobs to a backup without VBM. Here's the thread regarding the script, though please read carefully precautions given there.