Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neilcrmls
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Neil Bernhart

Recover SharePoint file *without application-aware

Post by neilcrmls »

Hello all,
For some reason, our SharePoint VM backup job did not have the application-aware setting enabled. I have the need to recover a single file... are there any options available to me?

(FYI... I have since enabled app-aware processing on the job)
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Recover SharePoint file *without application-aware

Post by tdewin »

You can try to
-Identify the server that holds the SQL content database (you might use Get-SPContentDatabase / most of the time wss_content.mdf or something similar)
-Start file level recovery on that SQL server that has the DB and just keep it open in the background
-Start the Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint manually from the start menu
-Add the database in Veeam Explorer. Since the FLR is still open, you should be able to retrieve you content database somewhere under c:\veeamflr\

The process is quite similar to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/exp ... store.html
neilcrmls
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Neil Bernhart

Re: Recover SharePoint file *without application-aware

Post by neilcrmls »

Thanks for the reply Timothy. I was able to accomplish recovery of the file!

I had a support case open and the tech suggested pretty much the same thing... although you have provided more detailed steps.
I ended up copying the WSS_content.mdb to the local server, and also the corresponding .ldb file, which was required. But your step to browse c:\VeeamFLR\ with the SP Explorer would have saved me some time.

One thing to note: the version of SQL Server used by Veeam Explorer for SP must not be Express if your DB is larger than 10GB.
I ended up needing to use our SharePoint servers SQL Standard instance as our content DB is 74GB.