Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yowkhoapham
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Khoa Pham

Upgraded to Backup v5. Services stuck at "Starting"

Post by yowkhoapham »

Hello,

I need helped please, we had Veeam Backup and Replication v4.1. Today I downloaded and run version 5. I chose "Upgade" option. Everything finished successfully.
However, after restarting the server I am not able to run the application again, the following 3 services keeps saying "Starting", even after I waited 1h

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager
Veeaam Backup Services
Veeam Indexing Services

Please advice.

Thank you.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Re: Upgraded to Backup v5. Services stuck at "Starting"

Post by Bunce »

is the service account you're using a local administrator on the vbr box?

ntfs permissions on the install folder ok?
yowkhoapham
Novice

Post by yowkhoapham »

Yes the service account is the local administrator account
Permission and everything is ok.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Khoa, this issue has not been reported before (with 20K of v5 downloads as of today). Please contact our support directly for investigation. Thanks!
yowkhoapham
Novice

Post by yowkhoapham »

Ahhhhh I just reversed the system image, will try again tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted.
Mindflux
Enthusiast
Full Name: RyanW

Post by Mindflux »

When I first loaded the V5 trial and restarted my Server 08 would hang on "Applying Computer Settings" for what seemed like an eternity. Checking services (remotely) showed the VEEAM based services taking forever to start.

So I can remark that I have seen this happen with V5.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Services hanging on Windows 2008 computer shutdown (not startup) is known issue, see here > Is it a bug? This happens because sometimes some system services we are dependant on shutdown before our services. It was never reported (and should not) affect services start up though.

In fact, this was first ever issue reported for v5 ;) the hotfix is available through support long ago (you may want to get the hotfix in all cases, since it fixes a few other reported issues as well).
Mindflux
Enthusiast
Full Name: RyanW

Post by Mindflux »

Gostev wrote:Services hanging on Windows 2008 computer shutdown (not startup) is known issue, see here > Is it a bug? This happens because sometimes some system services we are dependant on shutdown before our services. It was never reported (and should not) affect services start up though.

In fact, this was first ever issue reported for v5 ;) the hotfix is available through support long ago (you may want to get the hotfix in all cases, since it fixes a few other reported issues as well).
No this is start up.

I restarted my backup server remotely and tried to connect to it via RDC for about 25 minutes. By the time I drove to work the system had finished starting the veeam tasks and was 'normal'.

I restarted again to reproduce the issue and once I saw it appeared hung "Applying Computer Settings" at startup I checked via a remote machine to see what services were starting and the veeam ones were the only ones that hadn't completed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, who knows - may be same issue affects startup (which also comes down to service dependencies anyway). Best is to check with our support, but applying the patch won't hurt, that is for sure ;)
DavidMsDesk
Lurker
Full Name: David

Post by DavidMsDesk »

I have this exact same issue upgrading from 4.1 to 5.
Without the services starting, the install failed, so it rolls back the new install, and now I have nothing.

Pretty sweet "upgrade"
KennX
Novice
Full Name: Kenn Crook

Post by KennX »

Had the same issue... it's using xp_regread() which has to have more Server Roles than just public. After I went in and checked the sysadmin (and others, I was paranoid) Server Roles associated with the SQL login I was using (had to do this AS sa to change these permissions) then I was able to get it to run. Hope this helps!

Now if only I can figure out why I'm getting an XML parsing error when I try to start a job (previous one, since this is an upgrade).