Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rfn
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Moving VBRCatalog

Post by rfn »

Hi,

I had a problem with the VBRCatalog filling up the C drive on our VBR server running in a VM. I had to act quickly so I turned off all Veeam services and moved the VBRCatalog to another VMDK that I created for it. I then edited the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup Catalog\CatalogPath to point to the new location and rebooted.

It doesn't seem to work because I get a couple of errors from the search server and I'm unable to search for files in the Enterprise Manager. I'm not really sure that I was able to before that because I seem to remember that it didn't work when I initially tested it, but I'm not sure about that.

I guess that I need to tell the search server to look at the new location, but where do I do that, and is that even the problem?
Alexey D.

Re: Moving VBRCatalog

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello René,

You followed the right way with editing the registry key. To finally catch the rabbit, only one thing left to do: please go to Computer management, locate Shares leaf and re-create the share which would point to the new location of VBRCatalog (and check that \\<BackupServer>\VBRCatalog path leads to the proper folder). Also, don't forget to validate permissions of that folder: it should have the same settings as for original location.
rfn
Expert

Post by rfn »

I forgot to write that I also moved the share and was very carefull to create the right permissions on the new share, so everything should be good. It might also work, because I can see that the search server has written informational messages in the Event log since the move, but initially it did write a couple of errors.

I'm still not able to search in Enterprise Manager, but I'm not sure that ever was. When searching I get this error: "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.0.24:9395". That IP address is the VBR server which also has Enterprise Manager and the search server installed.

BTW, I'm not able to connect to Enteprise Manager through the https port, only the http port.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

By the way, have you installed VeeamBackupSearch.exe component? This one is needed for Veeam to communicate with Search Server.
Also please check that corresponding service - "Veeam Backup Search Server Integration Service" is running.
rfn
Expert

Post by rfn »

I did install the component but now that I checked then it wasn't running even though it was set to "Automatically". How can that be?

I have now started it and performed a search that didn't cause an error. It didn't find anything though, but is that because nothing has been presented to the search server until now? Should I give it some time to index the files and try again?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Post by Gostev »

Also, make sure default content access account on Search Server has rights to access new share.
rfn
Expert

Post by rfn »

The default content access account is a member of the local administrator group. Should that account be a member of any of the special Sharepoint/Search server groups?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

No special groups needed, René. Any account with permissions to read from this share, so I guess local admin should have 'em in your case, please check.

Yes, you should give some time for data to be crawled. As an option, you can go to Configuration -> Search Servers and push the button "Sync Catalog Now".

Service was not running? That's strange. Please chech Event log for possible failure messages and let us know.
rfn
Expert

Post by rfn »

Yes, local administrators have read access to the share and NTFS permission to do everything on the folder.

I have now forced it to crawl and it only took a few minutes for the Veeam Crawl service to finish what it was doing, but it still doesn't find anything. When crawling I get 4 informational events in the event log with no sign of anything wrong, though I did get an error in the application log when trying to perform a searc:

A database error occurred.

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Code: 1205 occurred 1 time(s)
Description: Transaction (Process ID 71) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Context: Application 'SharedServices'
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hmm.. Our seach helper service does not contact database and cannot cause any deadlock.

Ok, I think we reached the point where I should say - please send all the logs to our support team. We need more information on this issue.
rfn
Expert

Post by rfn »

OK... I'm already in contact with support but I got impacient and started this thread as well.
peter.dyer
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Peter Dyer

Post by peter.dyer »

I moved my VBRCatalog folder per the steps listed in this thread and ended up with the same error. To resolve the issue I uninstalled and then reinstalled Veeam Backup Search after I moved the VBRCatalog folder. There may be other ways to resolve the error, but that worked for me.