Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Backup Copy Job Restore points to keep Vs Keep the following

Post by phil987AQ »

Hello
I'm trying to get my head around the Backup Copy Jobs for what I would like to do. I would like to use them for long term data retention. I do not want a second copy on another device or location (I will use EMC data domain to replicate off site anyway). My questions are:
1) What is the relation of "Restore Points to Keep" vs "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes". Could I just set restore point to keep to zero if I am using the bottom section!?
2) Do I need to use a separate backup repository if I'm just using long term retention? If I do (looks that way) can I just create another repository on the same Data Domain?
3) if I put '3' in the Yearly backup it will keep 3 years of backups of the 1st Sunday of the year (or whatever is set in the schedule). Am I reading that correctly?
Thanks
Phil
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Re: Backup Copy Job Restore points to keep Vs Keep the follo

Post by phil987AQ »

Also one more question. When the copy backup job started it seemed to try and run all the machines at once! Almost like it tried to process all of them compared to a backup when it mounts a disk and moves on etc. Then I got some errors "Application is shutting down. Failed to download disk.", "Application is shutting down. Shared memory connection was closed". Now all the machines are stuck at a certain percentage e.g. 5%, 8%, 33% and they say "Processing will be retried (retry 1 out of 5) and some say "SQL Server not available"!
What a mess lol :lol:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Restore points to keep Vs Keep the follo

Post by foggy »

phil987AQ wrote:1) What is the relation of "Restore Points to Keep" vs "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes". Could I just set restore point to keep to zero if I am using the bottom section!?
The minimum value of retention in the regular chain is 2, you can set it in case only GFS restore points are required. You can read more about backup copy job retention mechanisms here.
phil987AQ wrote:2) Do I need to use a separate backup repository if I'm just using long term retention? If I do (looks that way) can I just create another repository on the same Data Domain?
Yes, you need to specify a different repository, which can point to another folder on the same storage.
phil987AQ wrote:3) if I put '3' in the Yearly backup it will keep 3 years of backups of the 1st Sunday of the year (or whatever is set in the schedule). Am I reading that correctly?
Your understanding is correct.

Please feel free to contact technical support with the issue described in your second post.