Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MPev
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Peverley

Backup Copy Job encryption

Post by MPev »

I searched but didn't find an answer to my question.

I'm looking to enable encryption within B&R to eliminate using TrueCrypt on my offsite backup media. Currently we backup to one repository then Backup Copy Job to another repository. We keep two weekly BCJ's and copy the latest to an encrypted hard drive weekly.

TL;DR If I enable encryption on the Backup Job do I also need to enable it on the Backup Copy Job?

The help says that it isn't double-encrypted, so the BJ is decrypted and then re-encrypted to make the BCJ. That's OK but will take more processing time, I'm assuming. Based on that, though, I'm guessing that it is needed? If the Backup Job is encrypted and the BCJ isn't, then does the BCJ decrypt the BJ and copy that to the repository now-unencrypted?

If all I'm reasonably worried about is having the offsite backup encrypted then I could leave the Backup Job alone and just encrypt the Backup Copy Job.

Thanks for reading
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Job encryption

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Martin and welcome to the community!
TL;DR If I enable encryption on the Backup Job do I also need to enable it on the Backup Copy Job?
Yes, and data will not be encrypted twice because backup copy job decrypt backups and encrypt them was own key.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

MPev wrote:If the Backup Job is encrypted and the BCJ isn't, then does the BCJ decrypt the BJ and copy that to the repository now-unencrypted?
Yes.
MPev wrote:If all I'm reasonably worried about is having the offsite backup encrypted then I could leave the Backup Job alone and just encrypt the Backup Copy Job.
Yes.
MPev
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Peverley

Post by MPev » 1 person likes this post

Shestakov wrote:Hello Martin and welcome to the community!
Thanks! Although I swear I had a login previously but I can't find anything. I've definitely lurked but I'm sure I've posted too.

Thanks also for the fast answers, it looks like I'll just enable encryption on the Backup Copy Jobs.

One other related question, if I may? I did turn on encryption for one of the BCJ's last night and it worked fine but the Configuration Backup failed. The error message is "Cannot create configuration backup without encryption enabled."... Never mind, one quick Google and found this, which answers the question.

"If the Password Manager contains at least one password and you do not enable encryption for the configuration backup, Veeam Backup & Replication disables configuration backup. To enable the configuration backup, you must enable encryption in the configuration backup job settings."

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... ypted.html
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct, once there are jobs using encryption (Password manager has entities), configuration backup requires encryption too.
You`ve found the right KB article.
mingji
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: MJ

[MERGED] Enable encryption on existing Backup job affect BC

Post by mingji »

Hi there,
We are planning to enable encryption for some existing Backup jobs. I understand an active full will be performed.
My question is, how will this affect the existing Backup Copy job? Will there be active full too even encryption is not enabled in Backup Copy job? and will Backup Copy job have to replicate the full backup again?

Thanks in advance.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ming!
No, backup copy job will not need to perform active full since it decrypts the backups.
Thanks!