Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sconley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sean Conley

Effect of backup job encryption on deduplication

Post by sconley »

I just want to confirm that with encryption enabled on a backup job built in Veeam deduplication is not performed. Is this the case?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Effect of backup job encryption on deduplication

Post by foggy »

Hi Sean, the source side part of Veeam B&R inline deduplication (within each processed VM disk) will work, however, target side deduplication is indeed disabled.
sconley
Enthusiast

Post by sconley »

Currently we are not using per vm backup files. Given this, it sounds like the negative effect per vm backup files can have on deduplication (no dedup across processed VMs) would be negated. Do I have that right?
sconley
Enthusiast

Post by sconley »

sconley wrote:Currently we are not using per vm backup files. Given this, it sounds like the negative effect per vm backup files can have on deduplication (no dedup across processed VMs) would be negated. Do I have that right?
I re-read this and it looks like it might be a bit ambiguous. So I will clarify a bit: What I mean to say, is given that target side deduplication is disabled with encryption enabled, does this mean that the downside on dedup imposed by using per vm backup files is negated?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If I got your question correctly, enabling encryption for a job pointed to repository (with per-VM chains option enabled) won't affect current deduplication ratio anyhow. Thanks.
sconley
Enthusiast

Post by sconley »

What about the following line from the documentation: "If you enable the Use per-VM backup files option, data deduplication between VMs will not work" from https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95. Is this not what having encryption enabled effectively does by disabling target-side deduplication?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Let me clarify my reply.

- If you enable encryption there will be no target-side deduplication
- If you enable per-VM chains there will be microscopic target-side deduplication

So, if you enable encryption first and then per-VM chains or vice versa, you won't experience major deduplication ratio decrease.

Thanks.
sconley
Enthusiast

Post by sconley »

Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much for the info.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Good to know my reply's been helpful. Should other questions arise, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.