Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

New implementation and backup jobs

Post by bjdboyer »

I'm installing a new Veeam implementation for a customer. they'll have a VMware environment of 250-300 VM's and around 100TB of raw storage. They have a backup window of 6pm-6am and most VM's don't have any specific backup time to run or not to run. What would be a good backup job configuration for those that don't require a specific time and can be spread across the backup window? Create hourly jobs and put x-number in each spread out over the 12-hr window? Or less jobs every 2 or 3 hours? I should also keep in mind the size of the VM's in each job to keep the size down. This is V9.5 and I'm using a scale-out repository. The BnR server is a VM but my repository/proxy server is a physical server that is connected to the VMFS storage. So SAN data transfer will be used.

And the copy job. the requirement is daily backup offsite daily. so how many copy jobs should I configured? One for each of the backup jobs? multiple backup obs per copy job? One big copy job?

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Bill
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: New implementation and backup jobs

Post by nmdange »

There is no reason to create a ton of jobs. Just create separate jobs if different sets of VMs need different settings (e.g. different number of recovery points). Otherwise just have one big job do all the VMs; Veeam will process them in groups based on various resource limits you set.

For backup copy jobs, I prefer to have one copy job for each primary job where you add the primary job as the source. Then you don't have to remember to add VMs to both a primary job and a copy job, and you can still have different settings to match each primary job.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New implementation and backup jobs

Post by foggy »

Correct, less number of jobs is typically recommended, since automatic resource scheduling ensures data processing is performed optimally. Just don't forget to enable per-VM backup chains to avoid extremely huge backup files (might be bad for several reasons, such as portability, slower synthetics, etc.).