Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

One Solution to "NFC storage connection is unavailable"

Post by paallergy »

I'm posting this in case someone else runs into the same problem. Hopefully this solution will work for them as well. I searched the forums for this problem but didn't find it; however, I may have missed it.

Twice now I have had the same backup job fail with the same error ("NFC storage connection is unavailable" and "Failed to create NFC download stream"). The first time I ended up reinstalling ESXi, then contacting Veeam support to clean up some issues. The second time I contacted Veeam support right away. Veeam support asked me to try to browse the datastore and download a vmx file. When that failed (see error below), Veeam support first referred me to a VMware KB article. Unfortunately that KB article was for ESX, not ESXi. Veeam support then referred me to VMware support. I contacted HP VMware support who found an easy solution: restarting the ESXi management agents.

SYMPTOMS
  • The Veeam B&R backup job error message contains "NFC storage connection is unavailable" and "Failed to create NFC download stream".
  • ESXi and all the VMs continue to run.
  • Browsing the datastore in vSphere Client and trying to download a vmx file results in an error "Failed to log into NFC server"
SETUP
  • ESXi 4.1.0
  • Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0.0.179 (running in a VM)
  • No vCenter (just vSphere Client)
SOLUTION
  • Restart ESXi Management Agents
  • ESXi Console > Troubleshooting Options > Restart Management Agents
  • Note: there may be a different solution for vCenter managed systems
Notes
  • According to HP VMware support this problem can be cause by vCenter or the vSphere client.
  • I'm not sure if the above solution works for vCenter
  • It sounded like this was a known issue. I didn't think to ask when it would be fixed. It was late and I was happy for an easy solution :)
Alexey D.

Re: One Solution to "NFC storage connection is unavailable"

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for contributing this solution to the community!