Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larsm
Lurker
Liked: never

Strange Filenames

Post by larsm »

In earlier Veem versions the VeeamZip filename exactly matches the name of the backup job. For example "Management_VM_2016-04-12T-174514.vbk".

In Veeam 9.0.0.1491 the naming is strange:
1. The filename contains spaces, what is not so nice.
2. The time at the end of the filename does not match the one in the Backup Job. Now we have to guess which filename belongs to which job.

Why did you change this? It was much better in the earlier versions.

nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Strange Filenames

Post by nielsengelen »

1. The filename is based on the name of the VM so if this is called "Management VM" then the space is normal.
2. The timestamp you see in the job title within the Veeam GUI is the timestamp where the job starts however the timestamp in the filename is the one when the VM is being processed.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Niels is spot on. v8 didn't have per-VM chains and the timestamp in the name of the file reflected the overall job start time. Now, with per-VM chains, each VM backup file has its own timestamp based on the time it's processing has started.
Craig60
Novice
Full Name: Craig Stevenson

[MERGED] VeeamZIP Filename?

Post by Craig60 »

In Veeam Backup & Replication version 8.x, after a VeeamZIP job completed, there was an entry in the log like this:

12/27/2016 1:49:32 PM :: Backup file \\Data-2\Hyper-V\Backup_H-FMP14-M_2016-12-27T134548.vbk

I have tried v9 and v9.5, but there does not appear to be such an entry in the log. With these versions, how does a person tell what the filename is? And why was this information removed from later versions? (It never occurred to me that such basic information would be removed, so I installed 9.0 instead of 8.0 on a new server.)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Craig and welcome to the community!
Reason of new naming logic is described above. Unfortunately there is no way to set a file name in UI.
Thanks!
Craig60
Novice

Post by Craig60 »

I'm not objecting to the name of the file. The problem is that there is no way to tell what the filename is from the UI in v9 and v9.5! (Somebody decided to REMOVE this information from the log!)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I`ve got your point. Indeed the information disappeared from the session log. We will add it back in future releases.
Thanks for the feedback!
Craig60
Novice

Post by Craig60 »

Thank you. This one issue prevented me from using v9.0 and v9.5.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Out of curiosity, why not to use backup jobs, are you at free product version?
There are lots of new features in v9 and v9.5
Craig60
Novice

Post by Craig60 »

Due to time constraints, I'm still using the free version. (I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul of our virtualization solution, and because of all those changes, I just use VeeamZIP for now.) Once the virtualization solution overhaul is complete, I'll be looking to upgrade to the paid version. I just wanted to make sure that I continued to use Veeam during this process so that I remained familiar with the product. But I wasn't impressed when something that I relied on (VeeamZIP) got broken intentionally! I don't like to commit to a product when something like that occurs without anybody saying to themselves, "What happens to our customers if I remove this line from the log? How are they going to be able to tell what the VeeamZIP filename is?" The fact that nobody at Veeam thought about this doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Veeam going forward. (I am still appreciative of the fact that you will be adding this back in, and I will give Veeam another chance once this occurs, but it still has to factor into my thinking.)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the response.
I`ve got your concerns. It was not made intentionally, we will try to resolve the bug as soon as possible.
Craig60
Novice

Post by Craig60 »

Thank you Nikita. I appreciate it!