Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Billy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Billy Lui

About user restore authentication when using VBR

Post by Billy »

Hi all,

I have some question about user restore authentication when endpoint backup integrate with Veeam backup & Replication.

Here is my case:
I have deployed 10 endpoint backup and integrated to Veeam Backup & Replication on my environment, then create 10 of backup repository to dedicate for each user using "Shared folder" like "\\NAS\Peter backup" and "\\NAS\Sam Backup".

However, user report that when he tries to restore the file from VEB, he can find another user’s restores point and restores it for each other.

So my question is:
Is there any setting that I am missing or it is software limitation for security control?
Any way to setup policy that only allow user to restore their own backup?

Sorry if my english is not well and hard to explain the detail
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: About user restore authentication when using VBR

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Billy,
he can find another user’s restores point and restores it for each other.
Thant is expected behavior when using dedicated account for repository access. If user wants to restore another user’s data he must login to the repository with this user’s account instead of his own.

Open restore wizard go back to repository step with credentials and type in the desired account – then you should see backup files created for this account.

Another option is to use VBR admin account: VBR admin account can see all backup files while performing a recovery.
Billy
Novice

Post by Billy »

Thanks, and I am trying to create a testing environment for this test, will let you know the result later :D
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great. Let us know how it goes!
Billy
Novice

Post by Billy »

I am not sure if it is related the cache issue, It is because I had try to use veeam administrator account to access the backup repository for testing on these 10 user PC before. :?

After that, even I change it back to user credentials, they still can find all of PC's restore point.

I finally solved the issue by :
Fully uninstall the VEB (Include all related LocalDB, components and registry) then reinstall it

And all VEB restore credentials are correct now! :o