Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Daniel.N
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Nowotynski

Backup faild after upgrade Veeam B&R 9.0 to 9.5

Post by Daniel.N »

Case # 02001656

Hello There,

Like in a title, I have a problem with backups after upgrade Veeam B&R from 9.0.0.1715 to 9.5.0.711. Before upgrade, all of my backup jobs working fine without any problems, after upgrade all jobs ends with error:

Code: Select all

Error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [san]. VMDK path: [[<Array_Name>] <Server_Name>/<Drive_Name>.vmdk]. Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Maybe someone had a problem like me and have a solution.

Best Regards,
Daniel N.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup faild after upgrade Veeam B&R 9.0 to 9.5

Post by foggy »

Hi Daniel, the error means that you've configured proxy to use direct SAN transport mode and disabled failover to NBD, however, for some reason, direct SAN is not available. I'd check whether you still see the LUNs in Disk Management on your proxy server.
Daniel.N
Novice

Post by Daniel.N »

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for reply.

With LUNs is OK, proxy server seeing the LUNs and from Veeam B&R file module i have access to VM files. In Backup Proxy for Transport mode I enabled "Fileover to network" option and now backups working and ends with success but now I have another problem.

The problem is the time it takes to finish backups. For example befor upgrade Veeam B&R full backup of vCenter (size 125GB, transfered 18,2GB) needed 9 minutes to end, now this time is 28 minutes. My other full backup job (size 3,4TB, transfered 2,3TB) needed 3 hours, now (size 3,4TB, transfered 2,4TB) need 11 hours.

Best Regards,
Daniel N.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Usually this sort of problems is caused by infrastructure changes that went unnoticed and coincided with backup server upgrade. Though, the support engineer will provide more definitive answer after logs review. Thanks.
Daniel.N
Novice

Post by Daniel.N »

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for reply.

I know that change in infrastructure can cause problems but last change was few month ago and upgrade was last friday (9 dec).

Now I waiting for response in my case from Veeam support.

Best Regards,
Daniel N.
bradohunt
Novice
Full Name: Brad

Post by bradohunt »

Daniel,

Did you receive a response from support regarding a fix for the problems you are seeing? I'm seeing similar issues since upgrading from 9.0 to 9.5, and the rest of the network basically drops to its knees during full backups. We're considering downgrading to 9.0 but hoping to not have to do that.

Thanks,
Brad
Daniel.N
Novice

Post by Daniel.N »

Hi Brad,

Support got logs of Veeam B&R from Me and ask about my infrastructure but i don't have any response yet.
I also sent to support information about taken action and new problem described in my earlier post.

Best Regards,
Daniel N.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

bradohunt wrote:I'm seeing similar issues since upgrading from 9.0 to 9.5, and the rest of the network basically drops to its knees during full backups.
Hi Brad, do you mean that direct SAN mode is not available after upgrading to v9.5 for some reason? In case the job fails over to network mode, increase of network utilization is expected. I recommend contacting support to verify the reasons of direct SAN unavailability.
sn0wcrash
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Wolfgang Scholz

Post by sn0wcrash » 1 person likes this post

Hi everybody,

we encountered the same problem and the solution was to install the 2008 C++ binaries. I opened a ticket regarding this issue and the support agent told me that there is an issue with B&R 9.5 if these binaries are missing or not up to date. You can check that if you see on the backup server or proxy in the eventlog entries in the application log with event id 33, "side by side" error. If that is the case you can install the missing binaries

Base Build 2008 C++
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5582

Upgrade 2008 C++
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=11895

In my environment it helped immediately and the direct SAN Backup started working again.
Daniel.N
Novice

Post by Daniel.N »

Hello sn0wcrash,

A lot of thanks for You. I install MS VC++ 2008 and now My backups working perfect.
Now My backup job (data read 3,0 TB, transferred 2,4 TB) ends in about 2,5 hours - previously this same job ends in about 10 hours.

Best Regards,
Daniel N.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Wolfgang, thanks for the advice! Really appreciated and you see that this immediately helped other people!

Daniel, That is about 4 times faster! That is a good number and I am happy to see them