Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
MikaelG
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikael Gustafsson

File restore & Import

Post by MikaelG »

I´m doing a file restore right now. First I had to wait for 3 hour for the vbk to be copied from tape back to the disc repository. Then when I try to import it I realize I can´t since it needs to be located on a server added to veeam. So now I´m copying the vbk from the repository to the veeam server. 1.5 hours of additional waiting. I must be doing this the wrong way?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Post by veremin »

Then when I try to import it I realize I can´t since it needs to be located on a server added to veeam.
This looks strange. I'm wondering what exact issue you got. Thanks.
MikaelG
Influencer

Post by MikaelG »

Well, the vbk was originally written to tape from our NAS. So I restore it from tape to the NAS. Then I want to browse the content by first importing the file to veeam. But you can only import files from servers added to veeam. I can't browse the content on the NAS and add it. So I copy the file to veeam server and then add it and do a restore - vmware - other OS files. I must have done this the least efficient way, but there are so many paths to get what I need that the best way isn't crystal clear. At least not to me.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

First I had to wait for 3 hour for the vbk to be copied from tape back to the disc repository. Then when I try to import it I realize I can´t since it needs to be located on a server added to veeam. So now I´m copying the vbk from the repository to the veeam server.
So this NAS was not added to VBR as repository, is that correct?
I must have done this the least efficient way
Adding this NAS to the list of VBR repositories might help. Restoring files to regular servers does not update VBRs database regarding the restored files, so import is required.
MikaelG
Influencer

Re: File restore & Import

Post by MikaelG »

The NAS is added as a repository in Veeam. But Veeam doesn´t allow you to browse anything else than servers added to Veeam when importing a file. A repository is not a server.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mikael,

Still looks not normal. I assume you are writing your backups to your NAS server. That means your NAS (through CIFS or in-guest iSCSI or mounted to another server) is added as a repository. Correct?

Does a rescan of the repository works? It should notice that copied backup file (as described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95)

Mike
MikaelG
Influencer

Post by MikaelG »

Mike,

You might be correct. If I did a rescan it would probably picked up the files. I´ll try that next time.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is this share accessible from a backup server? If so, you can browse the share from a backup server using Windows Explorer and double click on .vbm file. This should automatically start restore wizard. Thanks.