Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cgardner
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Charles Gardner

SureBackup - Mount a VFD or ISO

Post by cgardner »

I am dealing with a VM that has in-guest BitLocker. The unlock keys are on a VFD mounted to the VM so that it can unlock on reboot.

I would like to include the VM in a SureBackup job, but I can't figure out how to get the VFD mounted to the VM in the SureBackup environment. This is a Hyper-V install.

Does anyone have any input on mounting a VFD or ISO to a VM within a SureBackup job?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SureBackup - Mount a VFD or ISO

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You can just add a virtual CD/DVD drive or a virtual floppy drive to a VM inside SB job - just open vSphere client, locate resource pool where the SureBackup VM is spinning at, and edit its settings.

Thanks
cgardner
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Charles Gardner

Post by cgardner »

Yes, if running the job interactively that is true. I would like to run it as an automated job without the manual intervention.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

cgardner,

If it’s possible to mount a VFD to VM via script prior running the SureBackup job that’s might be a workaround you are looking for.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cgardner,

Maybe you can use Set-VMFloppyDiskDrive cmdlet to get this done (you said it was Hyper-V so...)

Example: Set-VMFloppyDiskDrive -ComputerName 'NameHyperVServer' -Path pathkeys.vfd -VMName 'NameVM'

The problem I see is that you will be able to put this in a custom script, but the script will only run after the start of the server, and you will need it attached before the computer is booted. I was wondering if it would work (can't test this at this moment I'm afraid) if you could create a custom script that attaches this to the VM and then reboots the computer (and see if it actually then reboots and unlocks) but I am not sure this will work.
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

I unfortunately don't see any pre-SureBackup job scripts, but even so that wouldn't be a helpful script until the VM is already registered as a minimum.
As Mike said, the test script will be injected and executed inside the VM, which is unable to boot. I don't see any creative ways of automating this.

Could a workaround be to encrypt, via Bitlocker, the VHDX files host-side instead of in-guest?
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com