Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from s

Post by lrhazi »

Hello,

I am testing the Veeam Backup and Restore product on a single VM installation... I added my VCenter and my NetApp cluster and they seem to work ok, as I can browse and see all VMs and datastores and also NetAPP snapshots....

When I try to start a backup job, it always fails with this error message:

Task failed. Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled

I am suspecting this Windows server and Veeam software, need to NFS mount shares from the NetAPP and are unable to? Can I find such detailed log somewhere?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data fr

Post by foggy »

Mohamed, do you have a VMware backup proxy properly configured for backup from storage snapshots?
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

I am sure that's my problem... just dont see much to tweak in that one proxy I have setup.. which is the one VM where Veeam software is installed.
When I edit its properties... only see two configuration options that could matter I think... "Transport mode" and "Connected datastores", both of which are set to automatic.
What else do I need to configure for snapshot backup feature?

I tested restoring a file from a VM, from a NetAPP snapshot and that worked!!!

I did find some log, but does not help me that much yet...

[logs removed by moderator]
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

From that documentation, for NFS, it seems the only requirement is:

NFS Protocol:
NFS traffic between the backup proxy and storage system must be allowed.

But am not sure I understand what IPs are being used for this NFS traffic... so I can check our firewalls and routing.... does it log somewhere what NFS mount operation was being attempted? what the NFS server IP is?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mohamed,

The specific ports are here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... =95#netapp

The IPs you are looking for are the IPs from the specific backup proxy and the NetApp storage system.

Please check also this article: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (especially the NOTE)

Let us know
Mike
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thanks Mike... I run wireshark during the backup job attempt... the only communication I see with NetAPP seems to be occurring with no issues on port 443. I don't seem to catch any NFS protocol attempts, UDP or TCP.... so not clear if Veeam is even getting to that phase yet.... Regarding the NOTE, My only Veeam machine is listed in the list as "VMWare Backup Proxy". It was using "Automatic selection", but changing it to explicitly checking the box on the listed proxy, does not seem to make any difference!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mohamed,

I'm kind of out of ideas then so can you log a support call so our engineers can have a look at them? Please post the support case ID here and the follow-up after that also

Thanks
Mike
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thanks a lot for the help. I kept checking things till I found it was indeed network/NFS ACLs issues... its working fine now. Thanks a lot.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mohamed,

Good news. Just for (my) understanding. Was it the ports that were not open? Or permissions?

Thanks
Mike
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

I made several changes, but I think the most relevant one was that the NetApp (the NFS server) did not have the veaam machine IP listed as allowed client.
cvacanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Vacanti

[MERGED] case 02030787 - Proxy not able to see san...

Post by cvacanti »

I have a production 8 environment running storage snapshots.
I'm building a new 9.5 environment.
Everything else works fine - including manual snapshot creation through the veeam interface - except backup jobs from storage snapshots fail.
1/5/2017 2:55:06 PM :: Task failed. Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled

This is from the logs:

Code: Select all

[05.01.2017 14:55:06] Info [ViTaskBuilder] Proxy (Name = '101-ECS-VEMP1', Id = '409defda-7b76-4add-b831-e5c2069342c7') is valid 
[05.01.2017 14:55:06] Info [ViTaskBuilder] Proxy affinity info: Proxy id: 409defda-7b76-4add-b831-e5c2069342c7, use affinity repositories: False 
[05.01.2017 14:55:06] Info [ViProxyBuilder] Can't find any proxy to process VM '101-ECS-VEMP2' as SAN primary. 
[05.01.2017 14:55:06] Error [ViTaskBuilder] Unable to find available proxys from storage snapshot 
[05.01.2017 14:55:06] Error Task failed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: case 02030787 - Proxy not able to see san for san snapsh

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Based on the error description, it seems like proxy servers are not properly configured to be used in the Storage Snapshot processing mode. Can you please confirm that all these steps have been successfully done > Configuring Backup from Storage Snapshots?
cvacanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Vacanti

Post by cvacanti »

Yes - I've verified the setup and ensure that the VM used as dedicated proxy is chosen for the Backup Proxy option in my test job.

The proxy i'm using is 101-ecs-vemp1 it is chosen as the "use the selected backup proxy servers only"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, in this case let our engineer take a look at your deployment over a quick WebEx session and verify the setup.
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

Hi lrhazi, the VMs you wanna backup are on an NFS Datastore?

you wrote that you don't see the IP addr. of the backup proxy in the (nfs) export policies on the filer? veeam should create and edit these policies by its own, when you don't see the veeam proxy then i would recommend to rerun the storage "discovery", that means just edit the filer config inside veeam and go through the wizard! after that veeam configures and scans for snapshot, look closely on that output... maybe there is an error allready!

what you could also try is to manually add the veeam proxy ip to the export policies! btw. be sure that the proxy is on the same ip subnet with at least on nic, as the nfs ports of you NetApp, maybe there is an storage lan and normally it isn't routed of course!

on root, i'm not totally sure right now, but i think you need superuser read-only, double check if there isn't a 2nd policy on root with read/write, that could be a problem too!!
on the volume(-mountpoint) you also need read-only!
notesguru99
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart J Seed

Post by notesguru99 »

Hi there
I have a similar issue. I have installed Veeam 9 and my NetApp is on an iSCSI network. I have only connected my Veeam server directly to the LAN. I can browse and restore from my NetApp snapshots but I can't backup from them? When I scan my storage via Veeam I see the following error message

09/01/2017 14:21:33 Error Failed to obtain list of VMs on LUN NetApp-PLUN2 from snapshot MS_Daily.2017-01-05_2010 of volume NetApp_PLUN2_vol Error: There is no initiators available.

Presumably this is because my Veeam server has no NIC configured or connected to my iSCSI network? Is this all I need to do to enable backups from snapshots?

TIA
Stuart
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Presumably this is because my Veeam server has no NIC configured or connected to my iSCSI network? Is this all I need to do to enable backups from snapshots?
Your backup proxy server has to be properly configured. Also you have to add the storage to the backup network and backup infrastructure. Check this article for more info.

Thanks