Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Throttling Restore

Post by Supraman »

Hello Guys,

I am hoping if someone knows the answer to this question and that is, does enabling the network traffic rules also dictates or throttle the speed of a restore job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Throttling Restore

Post by foggy »

Yes, traffic throttling should be applied upon restore between involved Veeam Data Movers.
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Post by Supraman »

Hello Foggy,

Where might I be able to find that option? Would that happen to be the Network traffic throttling option on the Proxy?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Vihn,

Correct: See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (link for VMware but the same applies for Hyper-V which can be found in its own documentation)

Cheers,
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, discussed with QC and seems what I previously took for granted is in fact not correct - traffic throttling doesn't work on restore operations. Sorry for confusion.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Is this still the case? I'm assuming it is based on the behavior I'm seeing currently flooding a WAN link during a restore.

If so, is there any intention to fix this?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

This is still the same. No ETA on a fix for this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

That's disappointing. It seems logical to assume any throttling settings would apply for restores too, so logical in fact that Veeam employees even believed it to be the case. At the very least I would have expected some sort of warning when creating traffic rules making it obvious restores aren't affected.

Now I need to work out how to apply some traffic management policies to restrict throughput from our repository servers
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I believe the logic here is that you typically want to restore as soon as possible. Anyway, this request shows up from time to time so we will write it down for future versions. Thanks!
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Post by Anders »

Was this implemented in V11?

Our case is a Agent backup job restore test we run monthly, that eats a full 1G firewall interface for 4 hours during the restore, that others would like to use as well!

So unless Surebackup for Agent backups are comming soon, we would love to see this feature implemented asap.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Anders, no this is not part of v11, but your voice in support of this functionality is counted. Thanks!
jbcap
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Bell

Post by jbcap »

Please add restore limits, most of our restores are non-DR and affect our link at inconvenient times.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback, your voice in support of this request is counted.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

[MERGED] Restore throttling request

Post by Mgamerz »

I had to restore a full server this last week and ran into a fun problem: Restores in V11 don't respect the network throttling. I've seen this in a few other threads but I had an issue where this server was in a DMZ and could only be reached by going through our router. It was still on-site (sits literally the U below it in the rack, but has to be on a separate network). The restore absolutely decimated our router to the point where logins to laptops that already had cached credentials would not work because the domain controller (beyond the router) would attempt to be reached but would never complete. The on-site network, both LAN and WAN, was for all intents and purposes, completely unusable. I ended up having to physically unplug our the backup server because I could not even log into it.

I'm requesting that restoration of virtual disks respect throttling rules, or have a separate set of rules for restores. I know many people would want it to go as fast as possible but I need the network to still be usable so other things like monitoring can work even overnight and weekends. I had to come on-site and unplug the server which was pretty inconvenient for us, and makes it hard to use this product when the router has to handle it (rather than going over the LAN).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2879 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 5 people like this post

Hello,
please use existing requests... that makes it easier for everyone to get the good news :-)

Throttling restore with network throttling rules will be available in V12

Best regards,
Hannes
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Nice! Good to see.