Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Suggestions for improving temporary VM snapshots

Post by cparker4486 »

Hi,

Recently Veeam ONE alerted me to a temporary snapshot created during a backup that was 78 days old. (Yes, I should have noticed this myself earlier...) After learning this and investigating a little I had two thoughts:

* Since B&R created the temporary snapshot itself shouldn't it also be able to remove it at the start of the next job rather than ignoring it forever?
* This one is a matter of convenience but I think the created timestamp of the temporary snapshot should be added to the snapshot's description. If I had stumbled across the snapshot myself I would not know how old it was. A timestamp in the description would solve that.

Thanks.
-- Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Suggestions for improving temporary VM snapshots

Post by Gostev »

Hi, B&R should remove it at the start of the next job - this functionality was broken at some point recently, but this will be addressed in the very next product patch. Thanks!
azc
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Carpenter

[MERGED] Feature enhancement suggestion: More detail in snap

Post by azc » 1 person likes this post

When B&R creates a snapshot of a VM I believe it would be useful for it to insert a timestamp in the description of the snapshot. This way it would be easy to see when the snapshot was made and then correlate that against a backup job.
timssi
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim h

[MERGED] FEATURE REQUEST: Add date/time stamp to Veeam snap

Post by timssi »

We very frequently have orphaned veeam snapshots, sometimes multiple per server and it would be extremely helpful to have a date time stamp either in the snapshot name or description so we know when it is from. Currently all the snapshot says is "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT" and "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup." If it is current or old/orphaned. Please add this feature or let me know if it is available in a specific release as I have not yet seen this in our current version.

Thanks
Tim
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Tim and welcome to the community!
Actually the snapshots should be deleted automatically. What product version are you at? By the way, do you also use Veeam ONE? It has handy alarms based on the snapshot age.
Thanks for the feedback.
timssi
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim h

Post by timssi » 1 person likes this post

Shestakov wrote:Hello Tim and welcome to the community!
Actually the snapshots should be deleted automatically. What product version are you at? By the way, do you also use Veeam ONE? It has handy alarms based on the snapshot age.
Thanks for the feedback.
Hi, We are running Veeam B&R 9.0.0.1715. Regardless of what Veeam *should* be doing, I still think having a time stamp on the snapshot would be very beneficial for when these problems do occur. Please submit the feature request to your development team for the backup and replication product.

Thanks again
Tim
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply, Tim.
Your feature request is taken into account.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Shestakov,

It's been four years since my original request. This seems like a minor improvement to be made. Perhaps this can actually get implemented now?

Thanks,
Chris
-- Chris
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Chris,
Indeed there are not lots of requests as you can see by the topic`s length. As I wrote above the snapshots should be deleted, so the problem is to be solved by getting rid of orphaned snapshots rather than by time stamp prefix. Though the time stamp may also be helpful.
If the snapshots are not getting deleted, please contact the support team. Thanks!
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

With a timestamp on a snapshot that is days or weeks old, I don't need to contact support. I can just delete the snapshot. This would be less time consuming and burdensome for both customer and Veeam support. Seems like a win-win from my perspective.
-- Chris
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are correct, but support can help finding out why the snapshots are not deleted so you don`t need to check the snapshot age.
As described above Veeam ONE alarms may also help here.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry » 1 person likes this post

in the VC under manage snapshots it tells you when it was created.