Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Can't add new Hyper-V server

Post by Perry »

I have three Hyper-v server hosts in my test lab.
Server 1 Hyper-v host on a Win Serv 2012 R2 also running VBR
Server 2 Hyper-v host on a Win Serv 2008 R2.
Server 3 Hyper-v host on a Win Serv 2008 R2.

I added each server to VBR with saved domain credentials. All is OK so far.
Then I changed Server 2 to Win Serv 2012 R2 configured again as a Hyper-V host. Now a red X appeared next to that server registration in VBR. Attempted to delete that server and re add it in VBR but will not work. After "Detecting previously installed components" I get "Network path not found or invalid credentials supplied". Well, I know the credentials are fine since its the same saved domain credentials I used for the the other servers and the network is fine since I see all three servers from the VBR machine in Hyper-V Manager. So what am I missing here?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Can't add new Hyper-V server

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm,

This could be a variety of things. Is this a clean server or an upgraded one? Any change that the firewall is on and is blocking the connection? Can you check if the admin share is enabled?

PS: The ports necessary are described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (if your VBR version is 9.5 anyway, otherwise, look at the previous documentation in our technical resources part on veeam.com)
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

This was a clean install with default firewall rules. I disabled the firewall on the 2012 Hyper-V host and now I was able to add this server in VBR. Looked at the ports link you gave. That's a lot of ports. Not sure which ones I need just for a stand alone Hyper-V host? And curious why 2008 Hyper-V hosts don't need any ports open since they connect fine.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

I assume is it is the "Mount Server Connections" TCP 9401, 6170 ? Or do I need others too to perform the backup and restore?
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

Actually I don't think I need to add any firewall rules. After I added this Hyper-V host to VBR (with firewall off), it added not only the integration components but also the firewall rules so I think all should be fine even after turning the firewall back on. Correct?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Perry,

The firewall rules are created on the Backup & Replication server. I am not sure if that counts also when you deploy the components to the Hyper-V host. The ports you need are described in the From: B&R server TO: Hyper-V server, you do not need that entire list indeed :-)

Check on your Hyper-V server if the necessary ports are opened automatically, I can't verify it at this moment since I have no access to my lab
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

[MERGED] Cannot add Hyper-V Host

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Currently running B&R v9.5.0.711. When trying to add a Hyper-V (Windows Server 2016) host I get this error message below.

Under Virtual Machines right click Microsoft Hyper-V > Add server... > 192.168.9.25 (the Hyper-V Host IP address) > Microsoft Hyper-V server (Standalone) > Credentials ("Administrator") > "Detecting Previously Installed Components" > Error message.

I've opened up ports 6160 to 6163 on both the backup server and the Hyper-V Host but no change. Killing off VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe on the Hyper-V Host doesn't solve the problem either.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: Cannot add Hyper-V Host - Failed to install Installer's

Fixed it! Added Ports 135, 137 to 139, & 445 for both TCP & UDP on the Hyper-V Host.

Found the answer here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

As the screenshot location will expire in 30 days I will post the error message for easier searching:

Code: Select all

[192.168.9.25] Failed to install Installer's DLL.
The process cannot access the file because it's being used by another process.
Failed to rename file from
[C:\Windows\Veeam\Backup\new_{df6d1142-43c6-48e4-b846-4965cb31e40e}_VeeamDeploymentDll.dll] to [C:\Windows\Veeam\Backup\VeeamDeploymentDll.dll].
--tr:Error code: 0x00000020
--tr:Failed to upgrade VeeamDeploymentDll. Path [C:\Windows\Veeam\Backup\Upload\VeeamDeploymentDll.dll].
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Correct. You need those ports to be able to deploy B&R components to the host. Glad that you found it so quickly and thanks for posting back the answer

Cheers
Mike
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Mike Resseler wrote:Correct. You need those ports to be able to deploy B&R components to the host. Glad that you found it so quickly and thanks for posting back the answer
And what a pain it was! The error message had nothing to do with the solution :( The thing that saved my bacon was that this forum has a lot of suggestions on what to look out for :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Alex,

I do admit that the error can be a bit confusing but that is what is happening for B&R. Something we can take to the drawing board and see if it can be changed

Thanks
Mike
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Just had the exact same error message when upgrading to B&R v9.5.0.823 (a.k.a B&R 9.5 SP1). :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

This time the virtual server wasn't turned on (it is in the process of being deprecated today as we have just moved it from the old VMware host to a new Hyper-V host), yet I still got this meaningless error message about a DLL being in use. As the names are the same there was no way for me to realise that the reference to this VM was the one that was turned off.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

[MERGEd] Failed to install Installer's DLL, file in use

Just had this error message when upgrading to B&R v9.5.0.823 (a.k.a B&R 9.5 SP1). The virtual server that it wanted to upgrade wasn't turned on, yet I still got this meaningless error message about a DLL being in use:
Failed to upgrade host components. Error: 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to rename [C:\Windows\Veeam\Backup\new_{d4011935-abce-4876-b8c9-e6bcec71616e}_VeeamDeploymentDll.dll] to [C:\Windows\Veeam\...
You can read my earlier issues with this error message here, where it was a port issue:

post226002.html#p226002

I can also provide screenshots if requested.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

FYI, this was filed internally as an issue to fix the irrelevant message. Thanks for the heads up.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Unfortunately, we weren't able to reproduce this and will appreciate if you open a case for a closer logs review. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Marcel, try to review if any process is locking down the file (antivirus). If nothing helps, then please contact our technical support team and let us know your case ID (to help future readers).
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

[MERGED] Cannot connect Hyper-Server 2019 Host

Post by Tutek »

Hi.
I'm trying to add hyper-v server 2019 to veeam (this host is not connected to domain), but I get an error "Network path not found, or invalid credentials configured"
password is correct for sure.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Cannot connect Hyper-Server 2019 Host

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello Wojciech,

Have you already opened a Support case?
It's required for all technical issues. Please open a Support case and share its ID so we could monitor your issue.

Also, moved your post to the existing thread with the same error.

Thanks!
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek » 1 person likes this post

Yes, case ID #04712744
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek » 1 person likes this post

Please close my ticket ID #04712744, I had to open ports on Hyper-v Server .
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Wojciech,

Please contact our support engineers directly on this topic as they are not present on these forums.

Thanks
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Wojciech, thank you for sharing the results. Glad you've solved this issue!