Management reporting and documentation
nathano
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Job Status last 24 hours - filter by VM/job ?

Post by nathano »

I need to provide a report to one department so they can confirm all backups are OK etc, for their data.

the Job Status last 24 hours report is great and if there was some way of filtering that so it only had details for specific VMs or Jobs that would be awesome.

There are 3VMs that are relevant to this department. they are hosted on a local vmware cluster. backups are done to disk at that site, a backup copy job then copies the job to the data centre and then each night a full backup is written to tape as well.

What would be really nice is a report that would capture all backup jobs, backup copy jobs and tape jobs for the last 24 hours that can then be filtered to specific VMs.

I think at this stage I might need to setup multiple reports on a schedule to send to them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Nathan
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Job Status last 24 hours - filter by VM/job ?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nathan!
Looks like the goal is to have a report of all activity happened with particular VM in last X days.
For now there are no such a predefined report, however Backup Job Historical Information and VM Backup Status reports give most of the information.
What if we add VM filter in Backup Job Historical Information report so you can see only desired objects?
By the way, starting from v9.5 there is a Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report where you can choose VM data to be shown.
Thanks!
nathano
Expert

Post by nathano »

The Backup Job Historical Information is a great start, but is there a bug? when I set Job type to all only backup jobs appear in the "Backup Job" drop down. When I select File to tape and Backup to tape the Backup Job drop down updates as expected.

If could set Job Type to all and then select Backup Jobs and Backup to Tape jobs from the dropdown that would be great. I can get around it by creating multiple reports.

I can't see any option in there for reporting on Backup Copy jobs though.

The Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report looks like it might be an option as well, could be a combination. Not sure if this is by design but I lost all the expressions I had set in the custom filter when when I added a new column to the report :-(

I think the best option would be the Backup Job Historical Information report if it could also report on backup copy jobs, ideally I could select the backup jobs, backup copy jobs and backup to tape jobs in the one report or setup three separate reports for each job type.

Nathan
nathano
Expert

Post by nathano »

Shestakov, looks like I'm finding a few little bugs with the reports.. what's the best way to submit that info to Veeam? Log a ticket or is there a specific way to report possible bugs?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Nathan,

Since Shestakov has a holiday today. Please log a support ticket. This will be the easiest and fastest way to get those reported to us. Post the support ticket also here so Shestakov can follow the progress.

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

nathano wrote:I need to provide a report to one department so they can confirm all backups are OK etc, for their data...

here are 3VMs that are relevant to this department. they are hosted on a local vmware cluster.
While you're working with our support team on the issues with Backup Job Historical Information report, try to generate this report Protected VMs. It does provide data about backup copy jobs, can filter VMs based on their location/name and gives a nice overview of protection status for VM owners.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

nathano wrote:I think the best option would be the Backup Job Historical Information report if it could also report on backup copy jobs, ideally I could select the backup jobs, backup copy jobs and backup to tape jobs in the one report or setup three separate reports for each job type.
The report already works with Backup, Replication, File to tape backup, Backup to tape jobs. I`ve taken your request to add Backup Copy to this report into account.
nathano wrote:The Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report looks like it might be an option as well, could be a combination. Not sure if this is by design but I lost all the expressions I had set in the custom filter when when I added a new column to the report :-(
Sounds like a bug. As Mike said, please contact the support team and post the case number here for us.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

nathano wrote:I think the best option would be the Backup Job Historical Information report if it could also report on backup copy jobs, ideally I could select the backup jobs, backup copy jobs and backup to tape jobs in the one report or setup three separate reports for each job type.
I`m also curious if you have checked Backup Copy Job report. Does it look like what you need?
Thanks!