Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RKent
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Russell Kent

2016 Hyper-V Server install fails: missing powershell 2.0

Post by RKent »

Created case #02031586; reproducing here on the forums in case someone else has seen this and knows where it's gone wrong.

(I'm totally new to Veeam and Hyper-V, so be gentle if I'm being stupid. :-)

I've installed Windows 2016 Hyper-V Server (the free "Server Core" - like edition without GUI etc.). On that server I've got a couple of small VMs running.

I downloaded and mounted the Veeam B&R 9.5 ISO, and launched the setup on the Hyper-V server (not the VMs, but on the bare-metal Windows 2016 Hyper-V Server), thinking this is the right place to have it, as the VHDX's and VM definitions I wish to backup are here. (Correct?)

On the Windows 2016 Hyper-V server, I launch (from the ISO) the setup.exe. I click the big green "Install" button on the left-hand side of the installer's launch screen. The installer presents the EULA (I accept). The installer asks for the license file for B&R; I click "Next" (I'm trying to install the Veeam B&R free edition). But when it gets to the "Program Features" page, the installer shows all three: "Veeam Backup & Replication", "Veeam Backup Catalog", and "Veeam Backup & Replication Console", and I am *unable* to deselect any of them for installation. If I click "next", the "System Configuration Check" fails the "Microsoft PowerShell v2.0" check. I've looked, and PowerShell is indeed installed, and $PSVersionTable reports PSVersion is 5.1.14393.576.

So that's the first problem (can't get the pre-check to pass).

The other problem is I'm thinking that installing the console on the Windows 2016 Hyper-V server is improper (as there isn't a desktop experience available and you really shouldn't be locally administering things), but I can't tell it not to install that. So if/when I get it installed, is uninstalling just the "Veeam Backup & Replication Console" possible, and is it proper/wise?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: 2016 Hyper-V Server install fails: missing powershell 2.

Post by nmdange »

You should not install Veeam itself on your Hyper-V host. You should create a VM for Veeam. After Veeam is setup, you add your Hyper-V host to Veeam and it will install a small backup agent on the host to handle the backups.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

nmdange is correct. It is a bad idea to install it on the host. You should create a VM, give it enough resources and install a full GUI version of Windows to install B&R on it. B&R uses components that are not supported on the core version.

After you have installed B&R, you can indeed add the hyper-v host as a server to it. The only thing which is not completely correct in nmdange post is that it installs a small backup agent. We are agentless but we do make sure there are a few components on the server that will be responsible for the transport and handling of the backups.

Hope it helps
Mike
Mike Brown
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

You can add the Powershell 2.0 Engine in Server 2016 by going to Server Manager > Add Roles and Features > Features and then expand out 'Windows Powershell'. You can then enable 'Windows Powershell 2.0 Engine'.