Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

SureBackup and Isolated network names

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi

Before I log a ticket I'm wondering if what I'm trying is even supported.

We have multiple sites with different IP ranges but the VLAN structure and network names in VMWare are consistent. For example VLAN 6 on all sites is the staff VLAN but each sites staff VLAN has it's own IP range. Nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Our CORE and DR sites both have a "Server" vlan and thats the VMWare network name on both sites but obviously they are different subnets.

My problem is that I'm trying to setup SureBackup to do some simple tests on the DC's on both sites but I can't add a vNIC for the DR site as Veeam complains there is already a vNIC for that production network (because the network names match I'm assuming) even though it's in a different site and runs a different IP range. If I try and change the name of the network in Veeam when adding the production network it lets me do that but then when running the SureBackup job it connects the VM's to the network from the other site, and since the address schemes don't match they can't route anywhere.

As far as I can tell my only option is to rename all our VMWare networks to include the site name and then change all the VM's connected to those networks. I've only just started looking at SureBackup seriously so I could be missing something here, if so can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Dave
blithespirit
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Paul Szelsi

Re: SureBackup and Isolated network names

Post by blithespirit »

Hello Dave,

Are you trying to set a virtual lab up for both sites so will end up with a single virtual lab with both vNics or are you setting up two vLabs, one for each site and different hosts?

When you create your vLab it is aligned to a single ESX host (in Advanced Single Mode) and the vNic will be relevant for that host only.

Create two vLabs, one for your primary and one for your DR each with relevant vNic details if this is the case.

Thanks

Paul
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: SureBackup and Isolated network names

Post by DaveWatkins »

Hi Paul

I'm trying to setup a single lab. This is because I'm trying to test our Exchange backups and the DAG has servers on both sites and I'd like ot make sure all the DAG servers are running before starting the tests. This is Advanced Single Mode as you guessed.

If I set it up as two labs, then the DAG servers won't be able to communicate with each other.

Thanks
Dave