Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Veeam B&R and SQL server backups

Post by Perry »

Currently using BackupExec and looking to switch to Veeam B&R.

BackupExec has this problem where if a full VM backup is performed (time wise) between a full SQL DB backup and a differential SQL DB backup on the same machine, the SQL backup chain set would get broken and the SQL DB could not be restored from that set until the set was reset on the next full SQL backup. This has to do with the fact that both backup types use VSS and somehow they affected each-other.

This was very annoying and limited our backup options tremendously. Does Veeam have the same problem? Is this a VSS limitation or did BackupExec do it wrong?

And are there any other negative interactions with Veeam B&R I should keep in mind when separately backing up the VM hosting SQL server and the SQL database on the same machine?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam B&R and SQL server backups

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Perry,

Did you use separate approaches to back up up your SQL Server VM? Since Veeam B&R can control both full and incremental backups of your SQL Server, it shouldn't be an issue. Please take a look at this User Guide page for more info on how SQL Server backup works > How Microsoft SQL Server Logs Backup Works

Let me know if that answers your question.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

Yea, I am not talking so much about how Veeam backs up SQL since I have SQL itself do that through its own backup commands. But I am talking about how Veeam backing up the VM that hosts that SQL database might interfere with it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, in this case please take a look at the existing topic with the same question > SQL Backup without processing the logs
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

So use the COPY_ONLY mode. But if I don't have the "Enable Application-Aware processing" check box selected then I assume the default is not to do any processing in which case COPY_ONLY mod is used by default, correct? So I don't have to set this if unchecked.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, but I would still recommend to use COPY_ONLY and AAP mode to back up your VM.
Perry
Enthusiast

Post by Perry »

So you're saying, enable the "Enable Application-Aware processing" and then select COPY_ONLY for that VM? Why would I want to enable it only to disable it at a lower level. What else am I getting from enabling it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You start using VSS writers and providers to prepare your VM for application-consistent backups.