Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
InforMed
Novice
Liked: never

Stopping backup job

Post by InforMed »

Experimenting, I created a scheduled backup job to backup a stopped VM. It started running but has stuck at 43%. How do I stop it? Right-clicking shows a stop and start option but they are greyed out.

Thanks, Rob.
InforMed
Novice

Post by InforMed »

Jeez - these jobs are persistent! I've uninstalled and re-installed Veeam and the backup job is STILL listed. I assume that something is running on the ESX server itself so I've rebooted that...

Cheers, Rob.
InforMed
Novice

Post by InforMed »

And now FastSCP isn't working. When I try and manually copy the folder using FastSCP, it reports:

Agents failed to start, server "localhost", client "server007"

And in the log:

[12/09/2008 18:19:51] Error Client failed to process the command. Command: [connect].
could not connect to 192.168.1.4:2500

Looks like I might have to rollback my PC... fortunately, I use Acronis True Image.

Not exactly a glowing review of the product :-(

Cheers, Rob.
gvinpin
Enthusiast

Post by gvinpin »

I have similar problem, where backup job will create a snapshot and will map 10-14 disk regions and then doing nothing for hours.
Trying to stop, no result. I will send you a log
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

Rob,

Could you please send us all the logs from Help->Support Information?
Sander
Influencer

Post by Sander »

I've the same problem.
I try to backup a VM who has already a snapshot. I see a lot of "map disk region" events in the virtual center client. The backup isn't running and stuck at 0%.
How can I stop the VCB backup?
Sander
Influencer

Post by Sander »

I've uninstalled the program and database and manually deleted the database.
Then I installed the program again and the jobs was disappeared and no longer running.
Is there a simple method for it too?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Sander, I have raised this issue with our development team, so they are looking at it at the moment.
Thank you.
kratclif
Novice

Post by kratclif »

We had a job that was stuck for days and even persisted across reboots. Just this afternoon, I went to the job properties, schedule tab, and switched it to manual, then back to a new start time for this evening, and now the job shows stopped. One other variant is that we just added the user account used by the VeeamBackupService to the local admin group on the Veeam/VCB proxy and restarted the service... I didn't install the software originally, so I don't know if that was in the documentation, but it was a recommendation from a Sales Engineer. Not sure which one solved the problem, but the job started again successfully this evening.
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Post by ssimakov »

Kenneth,

Thank you for this information. Please get back to us if the problem reappears, we'll appreciate as much information as possible on stuck jobs to investigate it further.
ovall
Lurker

Post by ovall »

Hello all.
I'm currently evaluating that product for our ESX farm. I like it a lot.
But i'm stuck with that a cancelled VCB backup problem. I did cancel it. But I didn't expect it to be stopping (it's been 6 hours now) for so long.
I tried kratclif's solution, but it did not work for me.

It's very annoying because the product might be rejected because of this.

Can you please help me ?
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Post by ssimakov »

Please check if there are Veeam Backup processes still running and drop a message to support@veeam.com, our support will provide you with a workaround for this issue.
ovall
Lurker

Post by ovall »

Thanks for your very quick answer.
I've just sent my email to your support address
kratclif
Novice

Post by kratclif »

Has there been any progress on this issue in general (i.e. standard known fixes)? We're running a licensed copy at this point and we have managed to get a job stuck showing status "Stopping" for weeks now. This status persists after reboots, starting and stopping the VeeamBackupService.exe, switching the job to manual, etc... The really interesting thing though is that it does not seem to be interfering with the job running on schedule?!?!? The job still runs every night, the status shows percent complete during the run, I'm getting an e-mail report that it completed, but then the status goes back to "Stopping". Thoughts on how to correct this minor annoyance?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Hello;

Please send a message to support@veeam.com for a way around this issue. I apologize for the current inconvenience, and we are working hard to correct this for the next release
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Re: Stopping backup job

Post by chimera »

i realise this post is old - but i'm getting the same problems. latest version of veeam 4.0, map region appears numerous times and the backup has hung. what gives?
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Post by chimera »

Just done more testing. Maybe a Veeam bug? I oiginally had VM's backing up using VCB. I then uninstalled VCB, rebooted and altered the job to use vStorage API instead. When backing up using vStorage API direct from SAN, it would cause the first VM to generate a heap of "map region" entries logged and the backup would hang at 0%. Going back to the VM, I browse the datastore for the VM and there are 6 snapshots (I'd tried half a dozen times to get it working) I then couldn't remove those snapshots because the files were locked. What's interesting is while Veeam was attempting to run, snapshot manager showed 2 snapshots for the VM, one to do with consolidater (VCB I guess?) and the 2nd from Veeam. Shutting down the VM and restarting both snapshots disappeared from GUI (but the snapshot files still existed)

To fix, I eventually stopped Veeam service, shutdown the VM, ran a VC import and V2V'd the VM within the same datacenter (quick way of clearing the snapshots - as they didnt exist in snapshot manager but were visible in the datastore) I then restart Veeam, deleted the backup job and re-created it and now its all running fine again now. Bizzare.
markubi
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by markubi »

By me helps this:
Shutdown vSphere host
Restart Veem Backup and VMware VI Center services.

Not stoppable JOB failed, and "Map disk region" messages in VI stopped with error ... finaly.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Guys, thank you for finding time to update this topic with your resolution.