Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
manolito
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ManoLito

Failover Cluster with Shared Disks (Win Server 2012/2016)

Post by manolito »

Hi Guys

We are currently setting up veeam within our Datacenter (Replacement for HP DataProtector). Most things seem to work very good and fast, but we have some questions concerning shared Disks in a Failover Cluster.

Currently, all our SQL Clusters (Mostly 2012) are working as a Failover Cluster with Shared Disks. As mentioned in different earlier threads, you can't make an application consistent Backup of Shared Disks on Hyper V.
As we have read in some Blogs there will be a Change in Windows Server 2016 and maybe Application Aware Snapshots of Disk sets will be possible. So i have two Questions:

- If we save an Crash Consistent Snapshpt of an SQL Cluster ( Two Nodes, One Node Full Backup, Other Node only System Disk), should we be able to Launch the VEEAM SQL Explorer on this Snapshot and e.g. restore single tables? We didn't manage it until now to see single tables in SQL Explorer from a Crash Consistent Backup.

- Whats the recommended Way to save a SQL Cluster with Shared Disks with VEEAM?

- Are there any official Statements from VEEAM concerning the Support of Disk Sets in Windows Server 2016?

Thank you very much for your effort in advance!

Greetings
Manuel
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Failover Cluster with Shared Disks (Win Server 2012/2016

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Manuel, welcome to the community!

Crash consistent snapshot is the only way to perform Backup in your scenario. It won’t let you to check application-aware processing so there are no VSS, transaction logs and you already know that. Since Veeam SQL Explorer is not going to start automatically, you could try to open backup manually and obtain necessary database file.

Concerning other two questions, VHD Sets are supported with Veeam B&R 9.5. Please review an existing discussion about VHD Sets and VHDX here.

Please let me know if you will have any further questions.

Thanks!
manolito
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ManoLito

Post by manolito »

Hi DGrinev

Thank you for your Response.

The Problem is: If i manually attach the Datrabase, i can't browse through Tables (which is a requirement for us to use veeam). All i see is an option to Export the Database or the Schema:
What i am doing wrong?

Concernig VHD Set: Do i understand this right? VHD Sets are Fully Supported in VEEAM 9.5 (Which we are using) and we can take an Application Aware Snapshot of a VHD Set without Problems? So we can Save a SQL Cluster with VHD Sets in a consistent state and e.g. use SharePoint Explorer to browse through this?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Kind
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Manuel,

Exporting schema option also allows restoring data if you click on that option. Is this what you're after? (sorry If I missed it).
manolito wrote: Concernig VHD Set: Do i understand this right? VHD Sets are Fully Supported in VEEAM 9.5 (Which we are using) and we can take an Application Aware Snapshot of a VHD Set without Problems?
At this point in time VHD-set backup could be done in crash consistent manner only (As far as I know Microsoft is planning to address this soon).

Thanks!