Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MatMatMat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MatMatMat

New to Veeam - couple of archive questions...

Post by MatMatMat »

How does the synthetic full backup job affect, or interact with, the simple retention schedule? Are two full backups created if the synthetic full and simple retention full backup fall on different days? What happens when they fall on the same day?

With regards to archiving (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95), Where it states, in the blue note; "The synthetic full method is not recommended if you use a deduplicating storage appliance...", is it referring to a device that handles dedupe through its own hardware, regardless of whether dedupe is enabled in the Veeam software or not, or does it refer to whether you're using dedupe via Veeam software i.e. the storage is using dedupe but only because it's been enabled in the Veeam software?

Many thanks
MatMatMat
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: New to Veeam - couple of archive questions...

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Are two full backups created if the synthetic full and simple retention full backup fall on different days? What happens when they fall on the same day?
Only active full will be created on that day.
is it referring to a device that handles dedupe through its own hardware, regardless of whether dedupe is enabled in the Veeam software or not, or does it refer to whether you're using dedupe via Veeam software i.e. the storage is using dedupe but only because it's been enabled in the Veeam software?
The former.
MatMatMat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MatMatMat

Post by MatMatMat »

PTide wrote:Hi,

Only active full will be created on that day.
e: Got it!

Is there any benefit to running the synth, then if I already have a rolling simple full? Basically I've currently got the simple running daily at 11:00, with 7 restore points, and a synth running every Saturday.

Thanks
MMM
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Synth puts lesser load on your production storage. On the other hand active full eliminates the need to perform healh check and compact full operations. For more details please check this guide.

Thank you.