Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ThM
Influencer
Liked: never

Licensing same ESX host in 2 Veeam installations

Post by ThM »

Hi,
I’ve got a question about a tiny license problem.
Maybe we’ve got a vCenter cluster and in Veeam B&R all ESX hosts have a license on the backup server. Say, full licensed Veeam B&R.
Maybe I want to backup VMs form the same ESX hosts from an additional backup sever (for example from a remote site, replication or back up to a share aren’t an option). Do I have to buy further licenses for the additional backup server even though I’ve got licenses for all ESX host on the other backup server? The 2 servers should work parallel (1 do all backups every night, the 2nd should back up (incremental) 1 VM every hour from a remote site, this 2nd server is locatet in the remote site).
What’s the best way to solve this issue?

I hope somebody understand what I mean, partly google translation …. :oops:

Regards,
Thomas
Alexey D.

Re: Licensing same ESX host in 2 Veeam installations

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Thomas,

B&R is licensed per source ESX hosts, and not per B&R installations. You can have as many B&R installations as you want with no need to buy more licenses.
ThM
Influencer

Post by ThM »

Hello Alexey,

ok, thanks. But the license information are stored in the backup server, right? Whats the best way to get the license informations to the other backup server? Just install the license file form the 1st server to the 2nd server too?

That Veeam is licensed per socket I know, but I'm not clear about the way to be clean in my scenario. :) Licensing is just a very big topic in our company.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

The best solution would be to install Enterprise Manager and upload license file there. Enterprise Manager will automatically push the license file to all registred B&R servers, and track the consolidated license usage for you.
ThM
Influencer

Post by ThM »

Ah, ok, that was what I'm looking for. :)
Much Thanks and a nice Weekend. :)