Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Job Traffic on Wrong Network + Throttling Issue

Post by itfnb »

*Overall*
We have two Veeam B&R servers configured; one at our Production site and one at our DR site. The Production site handles backup jobs, backup copy jobs and backup copy tape jobs locally. The DR site pulls the nightly replication jobs from the Production site.

*Networking*
We have a primary MPLS network and a site-to-site VPN connection used only for VM replications to the DR site since it has more available bandwidth than our MPLS.

*Servers*
Both servers have two NICs; one on our primary MPLS network and one on our site-to-site VPN. Like so (I've changed the IPs):

Prod Veeam Server
*NIC1 - 10.0.0.1 <<< SiteA MPLS 10.0.0.0/24
*NIC2 - 10.0.2.1 <<< SiteA VPN 10.0.2.0/24

DR Veeam Server
*NIC1 - 10.0.1.1 <<< SiteA MPLS 10.0.1.0/24
*NIC2 - 10.0.3.1 <<< SiteA VPN 10.0.3.0/24

They have static routes added in Windows so that both servers can talk to one another using their site-to-site VPN NICs.

*Veeam*
The Prod Veeam Server has been added to the DR Veeam Server's config as a Proxy by its 10.0.2.1 VPN NIC IP address. It was not added by DNS or its 10.0.0.1 MPLS IP address.

*Job*
The Source Proxy is specified to only use the 10.0.2.1 server. The Target proxy is the default DR Veeam server itself..."VMware Backup Proxy".

*Issue #1 - Veeam Job Traffic on Wrong Network*
Every now and then, the job will for some reason send the traffic over the MPLS instead of the site-to-site VPN, even when the VPN is up. This can cause issues if it job misses its backup window, but even worse, if it is during office hours, it will CRUSH our MPLS circuit for that site...which brings us to Issue #2.

*Issue #2 - Throttling*
I have two Network Traffic Rules:

*10.0.2.0/24 --> 10.0.3.0/24 - 75Mbps (VPN)
*10.0.0.0/24 --> 10.0.1.0/24 - 15Mbps (MPLS)

However, BOTH routes only follow the lowest limit. I either have to give up bandwidth on the VPN connection or leave my MPLS network vulnerable to getting slammed when Issue #1 occurs. I've chosen the latter route, but users tend to complain when they're seeing a full second of latency on their network connections. :-)

Any thoughts on if there's something I can reconfigure (And I have opened case, but I thought maybe the wider audience my be interested in this discussion perhaps...)?

Thanks!
-Jim
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Re: Job Traffic on Wrong Network + Throttling Issue

Post by itfnb »

Well that was fast! I'm reviewing this now sent over from Support:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... twork.html