Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ixiDUCKixi
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam SQL Restores

Post by ixiDUCKixi »

Someone was mentioning today that it was possible to use SSMS to restore a SQL database from Veeam Backup & Recovery 9.0. I wasn't aware this was a feature, so I'd like to clarify if it's possible to have an SQL DBA use SSMS to restore an SQL database from B&R without engaging the Backup Administrators.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam SQL Restores

Post by foggy »

Could you please refer to where it was mentioned? Not sure, but probably that someone was talking about 1-Click FLR of the database file with further import via SQL Management Studio?
ixiDUCKixi
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ixiDUCKixi »

It was mentioned in verbal conversation and went something like "I know for a fact that SQL can be restored from SSMS with Veeam B&R."

I hadn't heard of this before so I was researching to see if he was correct or not. So far, I don't think he was correct and this isn't a feature. It would be cool, but I don't know where he saw it or with what tool.

FLR might have been the way he did it....I'm not sure. I can talk to him again and get more info. Just thought i was missing something obvious in SSMS that would allow me to restore from B&R.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Native tools cannot deal with Veeam B&R backup files, you need to restore database files using some of the Veeam B&R restore options prior to be able to use native tools against them.