Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JasonHop
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Hopson

File copy to cloud

Post by JasonHop »

Hello all,

I am posting for another person he is on Veeam 9 base and he wants to be able to perform a file copy to cloud. What is the best way to achieve this? Will this feature be coming any time soon?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: File copy to cloud

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jason and welcome to the community!
Could you describe the use case behind the feature request? For now you can use VBR backup copy and replication jobs to copy VM data to the cloud or Veeam Endpoint to copy files of physical machines.
Thanks for the feedback!
JasonHop
Veeam Software
Full Name: Jason Hopson

Post by JasonHop »

The files that they would like to go to the cloud are mailbox items(pst files) as well as several documents off his exchange VM. I'll mention to him to consider using backuyp copy to cloud but is there a way to be more efficient in terms of space used on the cloud?
PDK-Alastair
Lurker
Full Name: Alastair Birse

Post by PDK-Alastair »

Hi Shestakov,

Jason has been assisting in this issue. The problem I am having is providing effective Cloud Connect services to clients.

I run 9.5 with a Cloud Connect License and I currently have a client that wishes to backup nearly 4TB worth of data to a cloud repository that we host for them. The issue is that they want it to happen on a regular basis and to replace any files that have been changed since the original file copy. However there is a limitation on the cloud connect/file copy function that doesn't allow for scheduled file copy jobs, which makes the process of copying files rather time consuming instead of having it happen on a scheduled time and date automatically. The data is hosted on a physical server, dedicated as just a file server for document storage.

I really need this feature available in Veeam to allow customers to setup scheduled file copy jobs, external to the backup jobs for the remainder of their environment.
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

You might want to consider using the regular backup job and select the specific files to be not included or included:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it may deliver what's needed in the meanwhile.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

PDK-Alastair wrote: I run 9.5 with a Cloud Connect License and I currently have a client that wishes to backup nearly 4TB worth of data to a cloud repository that we host for them.
Do those 4TB of data reside on physical or virtual machine? If it`s on VM you may follow Eugene`s advice and copy only needed files with the backup / backup copy jobs.
It will also leverage CBT and compression what file copy job is missing.
Thanks!
PDK-Alastair
Lurker
Full Name: Alastair Birse

Post by PDK-Alastair »

Unfortunately it resides on a physical server as stated. The data is stored a Windows 2012 R2 Server which is used only for data storage. There is no VMs on this standalone server. I have the VMs already backing up and running correctly through Cloud Connect, now I need this data backup/replication to work.
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your customer might backup this machine, using Veeam Endpoint Backup and copy resulting files to cloud via backup copy job. Thanks.