Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
MichaelGalea
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Galea

Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by MichaelGalea »

Hi All,

I am using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 having a job names X which runs "Reverse incremental" from Monday to Saturday and Active Full on Sunday. X is chained to run backup to tape Z.

When X is "Reverese incremental", the tape to backup job named Z is transferring 3.3TB of data to tape while when X is running in "Active Full" 6.5TB are being transferred to tape.

From my understanding using "Reverse Incremental" provides me with a solution that writes Full backup to tape even if X was not run in "Active Full".
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: reversed incremental and active full backups

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Are you positive that the .vbk from Saturday has been transferred to tape? Could you please double-check that? Also I'd make sure that only one .vbk file is being transferred during Sunday job run. If two of them are transferred please try to set "Copy only last backup" option.

Thanks!
MichaelGalea
Novice

Post by MichaelGalea »

Hi PTide,

Thank you for your reply. I am noticing that two .vbk files are written for the same backup job. While there is the option "Copy only last backup" for the daily job used, there is no "Copy only last backup" for the GFS backup job.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, the tape job in question is GFS one? If so, kindly, update to the latest product version as number of GFS selection logic enhancements have been introduced there. Thanks.
MichaelGalea
Novice

Post by MichaelGalea »

I updated to the latest version and the issue still persist. There is no option to copy last backup only for GFS jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Reverse Incremental to tape

Post by veremin »

Because GFS tape job is supposed to create only one restore point at given moment.

I'd recommend you opening a ticket with our support team and letting them investigate it directly.

Thanks.