Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

MS SQL transaction log issue, or not.

Post by sasilik »

I am not sure if following is problem or not but I had a case where I wanted to stop all SQL transaction log jobs and could not. I disabled backup jobs with MS SQL VM's and waited but two jobs stayed in Running status. If I went and looked at them then VM's in these jobs were not in Pending status but "In Progress" for more than 200 hours. If I remember correctly they were doing something "Saving log...". As VEEAM sends backup logs to mailbox I went and looked at previous log files and they indicated that previous backups were successful. I forced jobs to stop as https://www.veeam.com/kb1727 instructed. And they were stuck again when I started them and they started saving log files. After looking around I found that there were .bak file with date about 20 days ago in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\SqlLogBackup in MS SQL VM and it didn't disappear even when transaction log job backed logs up, made new .bak file and deleted new one after backing it up. So I stopped all jobs again, deleted old .bak files in MS SQL VM's, started jobs again and problem was solved. I am not sure how this situation happened, maybe restart of VEEAM or SQL servers when transaction log job was doing its job, but it seems to me that there should be some error handling or notification or something. It seems to be some problem but in same time backups actually worked so its kind of problem(can't stop transaction log jobs) and same time not problem(backups actually work). Any comments or similar cases from someone?
lreese
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Logan Reese

Re: MS SQL transaction log issue, or not.

Post by lreese »

So your old backup files were not being removed before creating new backup files?
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Post by sasilik »

Yes, seems that in some point the .bak file was not removed. And I don't know what was the reason.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Markko, logs review is required to verify the reason of why the old log backup was not deleted - looks like its processing hung at some stage. Please contact support if you'd like to investigate this.