GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Best way to group VMs in replication jobs

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi,

Read this part in the VEEAM Docs:
"Limitations for Planned Failover. If you start planned failover for several VMs that are replicated with one replication job, these VMs will be processed one by one, not in parallel.
Each planned failover task for each VM is processed as a separate replica job session. If a backup proxy is not available and the session has to wait for resources, job sessions for other VMs in the same task cannot be started before the current session is finished.
"

With this in mind..... We're migrating about 400 VMs from a customer datacenter to our datacenter. VMs will be switched between datacenters using "Planned failover". Since we're switching per application group, consisting of one or more VMs that need to be switched at the same time, my theory is that it would be best to create a replication job per VM. In this way I have full freedom in triggering the planned failover and can keep on using as much proxies as I have for each task. The creation of all those job is quite easy with PowerShell, so it would not take me a lot of time.

Would there be a benefit in creating jobs with more VMs?

Any ideas on this?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Best way to group VMs in replication jobs

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Gabrie,
I didn't notice that part before, good catch. Usually the benefit of grouping multiple VMs into the same job is for management reasons, as you can imagine having hundreds of VMs, and one job for each, could potentially become a cumbersone activity. But as you stated already, automation can surely help here and remove the complexity. Also, being it a migration, it would not be a permanent setup, you can switch back to jobs managing multiple VMs once the migration is completed.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Re: Best way to group VMs in replication jobs

Post by GabesVirtualWorld » 1 person likes this post

Thanks. Almost finished with my script and being backed by your answer, I feel a blog post coming :-)