Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

SureBackup: Application init time when script disabled

Post by hoFFy »

Hi,

I just deployed another SureBackup Job at a customer who wants to test some servers without application testing, because the VMs are no DC, fileserver, etc.
After booting the VM during SureBackup, successfull heartbeat and ping Veeam waits another 120 seconds (default value) for the application initialization.
What is the reason to wait for initialization, if I didn't specify any application to test?
I could, of course, set the time to wait to 0 seconds, but wouldn't it be nicer to set it per defaut to 0 seconds, if no application is selected? You could then manually set it to a higher value if there is an application inside the VM which is needed by another VM which should also be tested and depends on services running on the first VM.

Btw.: Why don't you implement a feature to test if user-specified services have been started correctly? You could provide a GUI where the admin could specify the name of a service which should be tested whether if it is running or not. I have seen several times that a server restore completed successful, but then there where problems with third-party services (which of course could have existed before the restore).

I also suggested a year ago or so a feature to test if a network share running on a file server is reachable. This way an admin could specify one or more shares on a file server in the application group with the corresponding credentials and the VBR server or the proxy application tries to reach that share.
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup: Application init time when script disabled

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sebastian,

I believe this initialization timeout is required if you're using 3rd party applications (not mentioned in our default list) and would like to verify their health state via using custom scripts.
hoFFy wrote:Btw.: Why don't you implement a feature to test if user-specified services have been started correctly? You could provide a GUI where the admin could specify the name of a service which should be tested whether if it is running or not. I have seen several times that a server restore completed successful, but then there where problems with third-party services (which of course could have existed before the restore).
We are on this way! If you take a look at our recently announced new product Veeam Availability Orchestrator, then one of its capabilities would be to verify user-specific services and applications. In the first release it would be for replication only, but backup is also considered for our next updates.

Thanks!
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

The Orchestrator looks like the solution I was searching for. But I can't register for the beta: each time I enter my e-mail address I only see a "please wait"?!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sebastian, were you able to get register eventually? I've just tried the registration form and it worked fine for me.
hoFFy
Service Provider

Post by hoFFy »

I tried it on the smartphone and it worked for me. Must be something with our firewall (deep packet inspection is filtering a little bit too much).
Thank you!