Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fll
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Virtual Lab

Post by fll »

Hi, is it possible to generate a virtual lab when the machine with Veeam Backup Server is not on the production network?
Is there an example of configuration in this regard?
I try to generate a virtual lab for 2 domain controllers, an exchange and a windows 7 client machine, all on the same network (production network). One of the domain controllers is dhcp server with ip reservations for the rest of the machines.
The production network communicates with the network of the Veeam Backup Server (network of contingency) through routers.

Thank you.
Andanet
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Antonio

Re: Virtual Lab

Post by Andanet »

HI fll,
I use vLab how you ask. During vLab configuration you must enter production (or other) vlan to permit to proxy appliance to communicate with it.
I refer to helpCenter https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Antonio aka Andanet D'Andrea
Backup System Engineer Senior at Sorint.lab ¦ VMCE2021-VMCA2022 | VEEAM Legends 2023 | VEEAM VUG Italian Leader ¦
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Everything should work fine provided you configure routing between the networks, so that the proxy appliance is available from the backup server.
fll
Enthusiast

Post by fll »

The "routing between the networks" option is disabled
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, I'm not talking about that option. My point is that if you have traffic between backup server and proxy appliance routed properly (which should be the case, according to your description), SureBackup should work fine. So my question is whether you have already tried it and encountered some issues or just asking prior to creating the lab?
fll
Enthusiast

Post by fll »

I have already done several tests, some without proxy and others with proxy but I do not get it to work as I think or I want it to work. One setting I have chosen is:
- With proxy (an ip of the same rank as Veeam Server).
- In Networking (Advanced single-host option).
- In Isolated Networks - Network Mapping (Production network: the network where Veeam Server is, Isolated Network: the one proposed by the wizard).
-Network Settings (vNic-IP address: Veeam Server network gateway, masquerade: a valid ip, without DHCP)
-Static mapping: (without configuration)

I have this lab I linked a surebackup job with 2 domain controllers (one of them dhcp server) and a windows 7. When launching the work gives warnings in the reconfiguration and power on of each machine. Entering through the vsphere client there does not seem to be communication between the machines. These machines, production network, are in another network different from the network where Veeam Server is.