Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bickyz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Setup backup repository for the Veeam server

Post by bickyz »

Hi, We have been using a Veeam to backup VM from the standalone ESXi host to the local storage in one of our primary school.

In secondary school, we have 3 ESXi host with the HP iSCSI SAN.We would like to backup/replicate 10-12 critical VMs from the vSphere, these VMs takes about 6TB of storage.
For the backup, we have 1 x HP Proliant server (standalone ESXi) and HP iSCSI SAN with 18TB usable storage (RAID 10). This server has enough memory to run all the critical VMs & Veeam server VM. I have configured 9TB storage for ESXi and I would like to use remaining 9TB for the Veeam backup repository.

1. Is it advisable to use single 9TB LUN for the Veeam backup repository or smaller sized LUN ?
2. What is the best way to present the 9TB iSCSI LUN storage to the Veeam backup server ?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Setup backup repository for the Veeam server

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1. Is it advisable to use single 9TB LUN for the Veeam backup repository or smaller sized LUN ?
It's OK to use one large 9 TB LUN, just make sure that Veeam VM guest OS can handle 9TB volume.
2. What is the best way to present the 9TB iSCSI LUN storage to the Veeam backup server ?
Just use Windows iSCSI initiator inside Veeam VM to connect directly to the LUN.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just a warning for such kind of setup - if you lose the storage, you lose both VMs and their backups.
bickyz
Influencer

Post by bickyz »

thank you all.
bickyz
Influencer

Post by bickyz »

Hi,
Once I connect the LUN direct to the VM via iSCSI initiator, do I need to format/initialise the disk ?
The following article says not to initialise/format the disk at all.
https://www.veeam.com/blog/using-the-is ... -a-vm.html

thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The article talks about production VMFS LUNs, while you're configuring backup repository.