Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DFA1979
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Manz

Off-host proxy requirements

Post by DFA1979 »

Hello there,

We have an existing physical server with server 2012 R2 installed on it while our hosts are running server 2012.In the off-host requirements it states "Versions of a Microsoft Hyper-V host and off-host backup proxy must coincide" So my question is are we going to run into any problems with our Veeam setup if our off-host proxy server is running server 2012 R2 and our hosts are running server 2012?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Off-host proxy requirements

Post by Mike Resseler »

Brian,

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, I'm afraid this going to get you into problems. As a clarification, we need the Hyper-V role on that offhost proxy to do certain processing. But if the snapshot of that VM is from a different version, it is likely that you run into problems with compatibility issues or even get corruption on that snapshot. Especially in this case as the 2012 backup framework is completely different from the 2012 R2.

A few questions:

1. Are you planning to upgrade your 2012 hosts to 2012 R2 in a not so far future? If you are, I would propose that you use onhost proxies for now (given that you have some resources available).
2. Are you using a hardware VSS provider? Make sure that you have that one already installed on your hosts so that it can help you with the resources

Hope it helps
Mike
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Off-host proxy requirements

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Brian,
DFA1979 wrote:So my question is are we going to run into any problems with our Veeam setup if our off-host proxy server is running server 2012 R2 and our hosts are running server 2012?
Yes. It's mandatory to have same OS on Veeam off-host backup machine and Hyper-V host. Please see additional information about offhost proxy mode in the existing topic.

Thanks!