Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
jmaes
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup failing when using Kaspersky AV for Linux File Server

Post by jmaes »

Hi

We manage a whole bunch of RHEL6 servers at our clients and as a Veeam Partner I'm looking into using the Veeam Agent for Linux to get easier-to-manage backups of some of them.

However I'm running into a strange issue:
On all of our client servers (most are file servers aswell) we use Kaspersky Antivirus for Linux File Server. The first backup with the Veeam agent works without issues. However every subsequent backup will fail stating that it can't open the snapshot disks. This remains until I reboot the server, after which a single backup works again, but not any backups after that. If I disable the scanner I have no issues taking backups.

I'm guessing the kernel modules used by the scanner (redirfs and a second proprietary one) interfere with the snapshot creation process in some way (even though it looks like the snapshot itself is created just fine) but I have no idea how to actually debug the issue.

Full log archive is here.

If necessary I can take this up with Kaspersky support as well but if possible I'd like some pointers as to what actually goes wrong in the Veeam snapshot process so I can give them a decent explanation.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backup failing when using Kaspersky AV for Linux File Se

Post by nielsengelen »

Please open up a support case at Veeam as well as this will require more deepdive into logs and maybe additional things.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
jmaes
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Backup failing when using Kaspersky AV for Linux File Se

Post by jmaes »

I've created a support case as requested. Case number for reference: 02046425.