Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ken.wilson
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ken Wilson

ReFS Data integrity streams

Post by ken.wilson »

Hello,

I am in the processing of installing our new backup system and we have moved the jobs over (all new fulls) to the new Veeam server along with the new Server 2016 repositories formatted with ReFS.

I can say the fast cloning is working great when doing synthetic fulls and transforming vib to vrb so that's an amazing improvement for time/space for us.

The issue is now I am trying to configure our monitoring to alert us when there is a file problem (bit rot) so in turn we can run an active full since we are not using storage spaces with a mirror or parity set.

I have setup the event monitor for ReFS 133 and that works fine when I send a test event with the same source and eventID. My concern is the data integrity streams that according to this post (https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html) are enable by Veeam by default.

When I run a Get-FileIntegrity on one of the new fulls created by Veeam/2016 ReFS is says "Enabled - False" so I am a little worried. I am sure I am missing something in terms of how ReFS file integrity works but I wanted to check here as what I read off tech-net differs.

Thanks,

Ken
ken.wilson
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ken Wilson

Re: ReFS Data integrity streams

Post by ken.wilson » 2 people like this post

Hi,

So I can't say that I did anything other then not trust Veeam more. I went back to check on a new backup that I created yesterday to see if a "NEW" full would have the file integrity enabled and when I check this file "IT WAS ENABLED" so I started to check the 20+ other jobs/files and they are all enabled. Even the 3 jobs I used as a check before I posted this to the forum are all now set to "Enabled/True"

So it looks like either I was doing something wrong with PowerShell (totally possible) or someone at Veeam has a magic wand.

Anyways when I run "Get-FileIntegrity" on any vbk,vib, or vrb on my ReFS repo's they come back enabled so thanks for that.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time I was just worried when I ran that commandlet and it came back false.

Thanks,

Ken