Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jwsdi
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Wenzel

Daily and Weekly Job Segregation

Post by jwsdi » 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

We recently cut over from Commvault to VEEAM B&R for our server backups. When I originally setup the jobs, I set them up like this:

Name: Daily/Weekly Cluster X Backup
Run Time: Daily @ 9:00PM
Type: Incremental
Active full backup: Weekly on Sunday

I was not sure how long the first full would take, so I manually kicked off the chain at 9:00AM on Sunday and monitored and saw it took until about 11:00PM to finish all the full jobs. Subsequent incrementals take a fraction of the time.

My question is this, given the fact that I cannot modify the time when the active full will begin, and given the fact that I really do not want to have to modify the time every weekend after the Saturday incrementals complete so the Sunday fulls will run at 9:00am instead of 9:00pm, can I do this instead to split the two?

Name: Daily Cluster X Backup
Run Time: Daily @ 9:00PM
Type: Incremental (No Full, no Synthetic)

AND

Name: Weekly Cluster X Backup
Run Time: Sundays @ 9:00AM
Type: Full (No Incremental)

And if I can do that, do I just need to set the weekly job's Active full backup to weekly on Sunday, and then in the schedule menu choose to run the job Sunday's at 9:00AM?

I hope that made sense, it's a little difficult to explain :)

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Daily and Weekly Job Segregation

Post by Shestakov »

Hello jwsdi,
Have you considered scheduling daily backup Mon-Sat and weekly on Sun? Looks like that should resolve the request.
I would have just one job to backup the cluster as it`s easier to manage and takes less time to backup.
By the way, what`s your backup plan overall, are you going to have a copy of those backups?
Thanks!
jwsdi
Novice

Post by jwsdi »

Shestakov wrote:Hello jwsdi,
Have you considered scheduling daily backup Mon-Sat and weekly on Sun? Looks like that should resolve the request.
I would have just one job to backup the cluster as it`s easier to manage and takes less time to backup.
By the way, what`s your backup plan overall, are you going to have a copy of those backups?
Thanks!
Hello Shestakov,

Yes, that is my end goal is having incrementals Mon-Sat and weeklies on Sun. The problem is, if I bundle the jobs together, they will start at the same time which I do not want. I want dailies to start at 9pm and weeklies to start at 9am since I do not want backups bleeding into start of day on Mondays.

The backup plan is Daily Incrementals and Weekly Fulls to our storage array with 30 day retention. Weeklies are written to tape and on a rotation. Monthlies are written to tape and shipped offsite.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

So the request is to have an option of scheduling fulls at the different time from the increments? It`s not available now, but we do have the option in the road map.
For now I would suggest changing the full job run schedule from Sun to Sat so it has enough time to finish.
Thanks!
jwsdi
Novice

Post by jwsdi »

Shestakov wrote:So the request is to have an option of scheduling fulls at the different time from the increments? It`s not available now, but we do have the option in the road map.
For now I would suggest changing the full job run schedule from Sun to Sat so it has enough time to finish.
Thanks!
Shestakov,

Yes, it would be nice to have that granularity.

From a VEEAM perspective, there are no issues or "gotchas" for having two jobs backing up the same cluster albeit at different times?

1. Daily Incrementals : Mon-Sat @ 9PM
2. Weekly Fulls : Sun @ 9AM

Thank you for your feedback.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

No, it will not cause any problems.
Thanks for the feedback!