Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cip2013
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

VBR Configuration DB on ReFS volume

Post by cip2013 »

Has anyone seen issues with having VBR installed on an ReFS volume in regards to the configuration DB? I had read somewhere that ReFS doesn't play nice with SQL. I'm not sure if this is only an issue with older versions of ReFS or if this is something that still needs to be considered with Windows 2016. Should I be using ReFS for the repositories only? Also, could this have implications for Veeam Explorer for SQL when trying to do a restore? We are building some new backup servers and are trying to decide between ReFS and NTFS for the repository volumes.

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched, but didn't find anything.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: VBR Configuration DB on ReFS volume

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It should not, at least DBCC CHECKDB issues has been resolved since SQL 2014.
Also, could this have implications for Veeam Explorer for SQL when trying to do a restore?
No. Just make sure that staging SQL server (if you use one) has the same or later version as the original SQL Server (the VM processed by Veeam job).

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And developing the thought regarding staging server, be aware to use one (full-blown SQL server) if you want to restore SQL db larger than 10 GB (maximum size SQL Express supports). Thanks.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

A question I have is what is the expected benefit of putting the VBR SQL DB on ReFS? There won't be anything we do to take advantage of ReFS for that. Unless there is a specific need, perhaps to install VBR on to the same server that will be used as a repository and move the database off the default C: drive (at least with SQL Express), I wouldn't mess with ReFS for the database. Just use it for the repository.

Joe
cip2013
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by cip2013 »

I wouldn't mess with ReFS for the database. Just use it for the repository
Sounds good. I will install VBR on a non ReFS volume.
And developing the thought regarding staging server, be aware to use one (full-blown SQL server) if you want to restore SQL db larger than 10 GB (maximum size SQL Express supports).
I did not know this. This is a good thing to know. I don't think it will impact us as we do SQL backups and then just backup the files, but I will keep this in mind as we do have db's that are greater than 10GB.

Thanks for the info.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's covered in more details in the corresponding section of our User Guide; might be useful for you. Thanks.