Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Feature requests, fixes, and suggestions for Quick Migration

Post by kkuszek »

I have the full 9.5 B&R enterprise plus but decided to use the quick migration to evacuate a datastore this prior weekend. I had never used the product until then. There were a few things I noticed:

quick migration should have a column to filter/sort by datastore. I used this because I don't have storage vmotion licensing. I suspect it's largely the case for target audience. Datastore should be a column to sort or filter by when viewing VM's for this reason.

Migrating vcenter appliance HAS to go through standalone hosts instead of vcenter database to prevent crash. This should be detected and blocked. Trying to migrate vcsa while connecting to it through itself caused a TON of issues that took half a day to clear up with vmware support. DON'T do it people. I got snapshots left and orphaned, ghost file locks, inventory discrepancies, connection issues.
That should be a safety check.

Percent complete for VM should be against total data/remaining. This didn't always update for me. My file server reflected as 42% while the total migration of 5 machines was 99% (fs being the majority of the move). bug?
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Re: Feature requests, fixes, and suggestions for Quick Migra

Post by kkuszek »

Oh, another experience I forgot to include:
QM leaves behind a lot of machines that are "_migrated" and does not delete the old machines consistently.

I did a batch the other night, about half of them still exist as a paused vm on the old datastore even though I wanted them deleted.
Job history in B&R console says success with no warnings or errors...