Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Is there still a "need" for active fulls?

Post by mkretzer »

Hello,

We are just converting all our backups to a new REFS repo.
I wonder: is there still any reason we should do periodic active fulls (AF)?

All our backup storage uses DIF so bit rod should not be a problem on the hardware side. Even if it would be - with REFS and Integrity Streams there is a second protection against that.

And if i remember correctly AF would not help against CBT corruption as even with AF it uses CBT to see which blocks are used in the first place correct?

So i only see one scenario: It helps if Veeam has some kind of consistency bug... But i never heard of such a thing.

Markus
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Is there still a "need" for active fulls?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Markus.
There is still a probability of data corruption because of the storage-level corruption which can occur unnoticed to a Veeam backup server, so I would either do recovery verification, such as Surebackup or keep doing active fulls periodically.
Thanks!
adapterer
Expert
Liked: 46 times

Post by adapterer »

With integrity streams enabled I believe Gostev recommends monitoring for ReFS event 133 (the filesystem detected a checksum error) and to trigger active fulls via script in this instance :)
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Hello,

how can there be corruption from the storage when the store uses DIF? Or do you mean firmware bugs?

Markus
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

There is a tiny probability of bug and data corruption on every stage of the data flow, including fiber, ports etc.
The probability is piddling, but still I would recommend to perform recoverability checks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 3 people like this post

To believe that technologies like DIF and integrity streams can protect you have to believe that backups corruption can only come from block level/bit rot type disk corruption, i.e. that no possible bugs exist in Veeam, the OS (filesystem and device drivers), the data source (i.e. CBT) and that nothing environmental can impact backup data (a BSOD at an inopportune time).

In the lab I've already seen corrupt backups on ReFS due to what appears to be a Windows issue that caused the system to BSOD during the synthetic fast clone operation. Admittedly in this case the old backups seemed OK, but the chain itself was unrecoverable and I had to run active fulls.

I will admit, if you use storage with DIF level protection, or ReFS integrity streams (assuming mirror/parity storage spaces), have offsite copies of your data, and run health checks/perform compacts, that you should be very, very safe, much safer than any technology previously used to store Veeam backups, however, it's still hard to argue that running the occasional active full wouldn't offer at least some additional benefit.

It really comes down to how risk averse you are. I've spent a lot of years planning for disaster and I know that what has saved me many times is being as risk averse as possible, because that makes you take the most conservative approach. Perhaps, as time moves on, and ReFS proves itself in the field to be truly resilient to bit rot and other issues (based on support cases), I'll feel better about it, but for now, I still think the occasional active full isn't a bad idea, even if it's not "needed".
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

tsightler wrote:In the lab I've already seen corrupt backups on ReFS due to what appears to be a Windows issue that caused the system to BSOD during the synthetic fast clone operation. Admittedly in this case the old backups seemed OK, but the chain itself was unrecoverable and I had to run active fulls.
Tom, that bug was fixed in the latest MS update right? I had been playing with 64k and 4k clusters and that seemed to only affect 4k cluster drives, and actually basically destroyed my test 4k cluster drive while all my 64k drives have been fine. Not sure if it only affected 4k drives or was just much more likely too but like I said, I'm pretty sure that was fixed recently in any case (thankfully)
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I not 100% sure as I've really seen 3 different issues that may all be related or perhaps not, however, like you, I haven't seen this impact any system with 64K cluster size, although perhaps if I was working with systems that were 16x larger, it could happen there as well (biggest system I currently have access to is about 100TB).
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

I've got 3 LUN's all about 64TB, all now with 64k clusters now after the pain of the crashes with the 4k cluster size (although I was leaning toward 64k clusters anyway)