Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alesovodvojce
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

VBR guest dead - best recovery practice

Post by alesovodvojce »

Hi,
in scenario where the backup guest (VBR 9.5) is dead, what is the best practice to get to the backups?
And what if there is remote repository where Config Bakckup is saved. There are only transport services installed, should there be full VBR installed too to manipulate with copied backups?
Regards,
Petr

PS. will update with case id soon
adapterer
Expert
Liked: 46 times

Re: VBR guest dead - best recovery practice

Post by adapterer »

Assuming the whole machine is completely stuffed...

Physical machine - backup with endpoint or similiar, use recovery media to restore

VM - you can use Veeam backup Extractor to recover the files to VMWare/Hyper-V and import - http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/veea ... am-server/ :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There are only transport services installed, should there be full VBR installed too to manipulate with copied backups?
Correct. You should install a backup server, restore configuration and start restoring backups created by backup copy jobs.
PS. will update with case id soon
Support case is not needed for general questions like yours. We require open tickets for situations when deep logs investigation and infrastructure analysis are needed.

Thanks.
alesovodvojce
Enthusiast

Post by alesovodvojce »

Thanks for sharing the tip for recovery soft, @adapterer.

Can I install VBR server already, on the machine where only Transport service is intalled? I have tried but the installer failed because Agent is running. (remote copy in progress).
My point is to have everything prepared for the possible failure.
fraack
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Post by fraack »

yes, you can install it on this machine. Many of my customers are using a sperate server which is may used as a backup copy repository as a cold standby backup server. They are saving the configuration backup file on this server. In case the primary backup server is down you can stop the transport service on the target, install Veeam and restore your config file.
alesovodvojce
Enthusiast

Post by alesovodvojce »

Same here - separate server for backup copy and cold standby backup.
The question is, can I install Veeam there in now - before the recovery scenario is needed?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The question is, can I install Veeam there in now - before the recovery scenario is needed?
Yes, you can.

Wait till the backup copy job is over, disable all Veeam-specific services and install backup server. However, be aware not only to install the same version that source backup serves uses, but also to keep those versions the same from now on. Otherwise, multiple issues are expected due to transport service version mismatch.

Thanks.