Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
leedudmish
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Lee

Hyperv backup failed to install service host not supported

Post by leedudmish »

hi All

We ran updates last week to our hyper-v Core 2012 R2 server and all is ok however Veeam B&R free zip version is now reporting that the target host platform is not supported which is odd as it was only security fixes we applied to the host it is still on hyperv core 2012 r2 and had been working backing up for a good year without problems.

To be sure I have updated veeam B&R free to 9.5 update 1 which is the latest version again all has gone ok it can see the host but when it tries to deploy I get the following error:

"failed to upgrade host components. Error:'Target Host Platform is not supported. --tr:Failed to install services [VeeamDeploySvc] was not installed on the host [ipaddress of host]"

any help greatly appreciated as this has me stumped, googled around and it does not seem anyone else has had the issue before?

prior to this the veeam version was 9 now up to 9.5u1

thanks all

Lee
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Hyperv backup failed to install service host not support

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you tried to uninstall all Veeam service from the host and readd the host into VBR console again?

Thanks
leedudmish
Influencer

Post by leedudmish »

Hi,

I am not sure how to do this on a hyper v core host its command driven if you could point me in the right direction - I am assuming if I remove the host from veeam that will fail also given it cannot talk to the host currently due to the message on screen?

Lee
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please run wmic, product get name in cmd:

Code: Select all

wmic
wmic:root\cli>product get name
That will prvide you with the list of software that is installed on your machine. Find all Veeam related lines and for each of them execute:

Code: Select all

product where name=”Veeam Backup Transport” call uninstall
After that try to delete the Hyper-V server from console and readd it.

Thanks
leedudmish
Influencer

Post by leedudmish »

Hi Ptide

Thanks for the update, I have tried this however when running for example product where name="Veeam Backup Hyper-V Integration" call uninstall it executes ok but returns a value of 1603 which from a quick check is a failure to uninstall correctly.

The product also exists in the list still, I have checked I am running this as an elevated command prompt but its still failing.

I have checked Taskmanager and I have disabled and stopped the services for veeam on box so that should not be interrupting the uninstall but no joy.

the only thing I have not tried is a switch off of the VM and a reboot of the host and trying the commands again.

any other ideas why it might not be uninstalling?

thanks

Lee
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I doubt that reboot will fix that. Please contact support team directly and post your case ID.

Thanks
leedudmish
Influencer

Post by leedudmish »

ok thanks however as its a free version when I go to log a support call it asks for a support ID which I dont have for this?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Another thing that you can try is to reinstall packages on the server manually and add it to a console. Please find VeeamHvIntegration.msi and VeeamTransport.msi in C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages on your backup server.

Thanks
leedudmish
Influencer

Post by leedudmish » 1 person likes this post

Hi All

I have been trying to get this one sorted and I am still running into a brick wall with the updated integration.

From what I can tell there are 3 services on the server

veeam installer service
veeam hyper-v integration service
veeam data mover service

only the hyper-v intergration service is started when I try to start the installer or data mover I get

the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present

I get this message at both the command line and a remote MMC running as the administrator.

If I try to remove the services with WMIC it fails to work.

I have installed a fresh copy of veeam to my laptop and tried to deploy to the server and this also fails with the same error message on the veeam console that the target host is not supported.

I am also not sure how I log a call with veeam on the free version without a support ID?

thanks

Lee
leedudmish
Influencer

Post by leedudmish » 1 person likes this post

Hi All

Right I have managed to crack the problem, something in the updates I ran to the hyper v host has killed off the subsystem of windows which was causing the services to not start - this is the problem the services have not started so the installer cannot upgrade or work out what the host is hence the message not supported.

a bit of reading on why I could not start the services led me to the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 08-r2-core

now although for 2008 I gave it a shot and ran the following command on the command line on the hyper v host (as an administrator).

dism /online /get-features /format:table

then discovered this was disabled:

ServerCore-WOW64 | Disabled

I have a hyper v host at home so checked there and that had enabled so a simple run on this command followed by a reboot.

DISM.EXE /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-WOW64

When the server came back up all the veeam services were started and I was then able to upgrade the host with the latest version of Veeam (probably was not necessary to get a backup but as I had patched the console I did it to keep it up to date.)

I did have to remove and re-add to the console however I was able to keep everything the same so my powershell scripted backups ran nightly as before

Thanks for all your help with this one hopefully the above may also help someone one day if they have the same problems!

Lee