Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bickyz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Simulate the VM failover & copy back the changes

Post by bickyz »

Hi,
I am trying to do the manual Failover i.e. by selecting the particular VM.
I have a test Windows Server 2012 R2 on production ESXi, I have already ran a replication job for this VM, the replica for this VM has been created on my DR site ESXi server.
I have powered off the VM on the production ESXi and within Veeam console manually ran “Failover Now” , which has powered on the replica VM on the DR site ESXi server. I then logged on to the replica VM and created few files/folders on the local C: drive.

Is it correct that to replicate the changes back to the production VM I need to run “Failback to production” option and once completed, I then need to run “Commit Failback” option ?
Before I run “Failback to production” , do I need to power on the production VM ?
What will happen if I add some more folders/files while “Failback to production” is running, will they also replicate back to the production VM ?

Any help on this will be much appreciated, thank you.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Simulate the VM failover & copy back the changes

Post by DGrinev »

Hi bickyz,
Is it correct that to replicate the changes back to the production VM I need to run “Failback to production” option and once completed, I then need to run “Commit Failback” option?
That's correct.
Before I run “Failback to production” , do I need to power on the production VM ?
No, you can select to power on the original VM after failback.
What will happen if I add some more folders/files while “Failback to production” is running, will they also replicate back to the production VM ?
All last-minute changes will be copied to production VM.

Please see step-by-step guide about Replica Failback.

Thanks!
bickyz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Simulate the VM failover & copy back the changes

Post by bickyz »

thank you DGrinev