Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

B&R 9.5U1 + vCenter 6.5 = weird problem

Post by SKratzTS »

I'll open a case in the morning...

Home lab, just upgraded vcenter 6.0U2 to 6.5. single vmhost is still running 6.0U2. Upgraded VMWare working 9.5 to 9.5 update 1.

When I try to run ANY of the 5 jobs on this server, I see a snapshot job fire off for a machine that's NOT in the job being launched.

(For example, I have an Ubuntu VM... I run it, I see an old Windows XP VM snapshot get created in VMWare). Of course, I get a failure to find snapshot-XXXX for VM XYZ error)

I can manually run, delete, roll-back any snapshots manually, and the vmware logs show it was done on the correct VM.

Even tried deleting & re-adding the VM in question after re-scanning the vCenter machine (in Veeam). It's still having a love affair with the old Windows XP VM.
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Re: B&R 9.5U1 + vCenter 6.5 = weird problem

Post by SKratzTS »

Update: Deleted all jobs, deleted vcenter from the Veeam interface. Re-added it all fresh. Snapshots now show the correctly named VM being snapped, but the job still fails with a similar error.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Question: Has anyone seen this with 6.0? We wanted to upgrade to 9.5U1 today but cannot afford to recreate anything in production...
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Post by SKratzTS »

At this point, I'm going to say to anyone thinking of installing 9.5U1, do not. I can't get this thing to work at all. I've stripped SQL, all the components of Veeam, deleted the left-over install folders, and the services still won't start up properly.

Code: Select all

Service cannot be started. System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.CanDeploy(IDatabaseVersion databaseVersion)
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.DatabaseDeploy(List`1 inDeployChangedOptions)
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.Deploy()
   at Veeam.Backup.DBManager.SqlRetryableInitializer.Init()
   at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)
   at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVeeamBackupSvc.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
Not ready for prime time. I've been a huge Veeam proponent forever, but I've never EVER had this much trouble getting it to work.
lohelle
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

Post by lohelle » 1 person likes this post

How about reinstall of OS, install Veeam and restore settings from configuration backup? To start fresh (ish).
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Post by SKratzTS »

I'm sticking blame on the U1 update. If I install "fresh" with the 9.5 release, everything is working. Services start, I can connect to VMWare 6.0 hosts. Install 9.5U1, Boom. Services won't even start.
lohelle
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

Post by lohelle »

Yep, I understand that. But there is probably something in your environment that is making trouble for Veeam (not saying something IS WRONG with your environment). A clean install of the OS will probably solve the problem whatever the problem is.
No problem with update on my installation + a couple of customer locations.
We are running Windows Server 2012 R2 (eng) on all these installations.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Steve, what is your support case ID fort his issue? Were you able to open it?
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Post by SKratzTS »

Not yet -- Been one of those crazy sorts of days.

I use one of the NFR licenses for my test lab, but we're a Veeam partner and use the rental licensing for customers and hosted VMs here. OK to just open it under our rental license agreement? (I'm glad I broke my test lab instead of production!)
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Post by SKratzTS »

Case opened: #02048841

Working 9.5 setup was upgraded to 9.5U1. After the update, the main B&R Service will not start.

The Veeam logon window reports "Failed to connect to Veeam B & R server: Remoting Channel Sink UriNotPublished. RequestUri is '/VeeamService'

When I try to manually start the B&R service, I get this in the event log:

Code: Select all

Service cannot be started. System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.CanDeploy(IDatabaseVersion databaseVersion)
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.DatabaseDeploy(List`1 inDeployChangedOptions)
   at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.Deploy()
   at Veeam.Backup.DBManager.SqlRetryableInitializer.Init()
   at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)
   at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVeeamBackupSvc.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
-- In testing, I uninstalled everything on the server that was installed by Veeam (SQL server, add-ons, etc.) I deleted my backup config folder, backups, Veeam folders out of c:\program data\, program files, program files (X86), deleted leftovers from SQL, and purged the registry entries from HKLM\Software\Veeam.

When I re-installed 9.5 without the update, the services DO start up OK after a reboot. As soon as I install U1, the service fails to start.

The base OS is Server 2016 Standard Edition - No domain controller functions. Just file shares, DNS, and DHCP, and a Plex Media Server installation. The VMWare installation I am working with is a 6.0U2 VMHost, and a 6.5 vCenter Appliance that was upgraded from a 6.0 vCenter Appliance (Thought this was the issue at first, but the fact that the B&R Services fail to start without any configuration being done makes me think that not the case.)
SKratzTS
Enthusiast

Post by SKratzTS » 1 person likes this post

Just talked to Veeam Support - Interestingly enough, the SQL server instances isn't auto-starting on reboots. It's set to automatic, Veeam B&R is set to auto/delayed.

Once SQL is running, it allows me to log back in.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

a lot of crazy stuff going on in your lab ;)
stefanbrun
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stefan Brun | Streamline AG

Post by stefanbrun »

SKratzTS wrote:Just talked to Veeam Support - Interestingly enough, the SQL server instances isn't auto-starting on reboots. It's set to automatic, Veeam B&R is set to auto/delayed.

Once SQL is running, it allows me to log back in.
You saved my holliday :D
Had the same Problem with the service of SQL.

Have a nice christmas