Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BarryCoombs
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backup job hangs at 99%

Post by BarryCoombs »

Does anyone know what the common cause for a job to hang at 99% all VM's are backuped up succesfully. I am assuming it is becuase we have created a post job that runs a batch file that subsequently starts a backup exec to tape job. Does veeam wait for the post command to complete before the jobs hits 100%? If so can I change that behavior? The only way to resolve it seems to be rebooting th backup server, killing the services etc seems to make no difference.

Cheers

Barry
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup job hangs at 99%

Post by Gostev »

Hi Barry, not sure - I have not seen this reported before. Please open a support ticket and send full log files and let us know the name for the hanging job. We will take a look and should be able to see what exactly is causing the job to hang at the end. Thanks!
BarryCoombs
Enthusiast

Post by BarryCoombs »

Cheers Gostev, have logged a ticket on the website will forward the logs when support reply.

Thanks

Barry
BarryCoombs
Enthusiast

Post by BarryCoombs »

A bit more info whilst im waiting on support,

It is definatly to do with Veeam running the post command, if I remove the post command it works fine, if I run the post command outside Veeam it works fine.

All the post command does is call a batch file, the batch file then runs a backup exec job from the command line.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

BarryCoombs wrote: All the post command does is call a batch file, the batch file then runs a backup exec job from the command line.
Any other ideas?
Well, I'm assuming that means that whatever command your running to perform you Backup Exec job is either simply hanging, or is waiting for the tape job to finish. Is the Backup Exec job actually being kicked off properly? If it's working, but the command simply doesn't exit until the copy to tape is finished, well you could just start your batch script with the "start" command.
BarryCoombs
Enthusiast

Post by BarryCoombs »

The backup Exec job doesn't actually start when Veeam tries to run it, if I run the batch file outside Veeam it kicks off fine.
BarryCoombs
Enthusiast

Post by BarryCoombs »

Support have told me to do a repair of Veeam Backup so going through that now
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

BarryCoombs wrote:The backup Exec job doesn't actually start when Veeam tries to run it, if I run the batch file outside Veeam it kicks off fine.
So what service account is Veeam running under? When you run the script manually it's running under the context of the logged in user, when you run the script from Veeam it's running as the service account user. Perhaps the account doesn't have enough permissions to kick off a Backup Exec job. If you have your batch file simply run, but just write a file out to the filesystem or something rather than trying to kick of Backup Exec, does the Veeam job finish then?